80's 6.9 RUNS Bronco now underway!!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, my mechanic friend :hail Jason and I went to attempt the start of the 6.9 (175 HP Model) I was planning to install in the Bronco.;Sweet

We previously primed the system and where only jumping the old batteries which was not enought to get it running last trip out.

This time after a good charge and two good batteries the unit spun over real well. With the help of some starting fluid as we where not going to mess with glow plug wiring as this trucks harness is too hacked up to attempt field repairs the truck began to fire.

After a few attempts it fired:thumbsup: and ran with good oil pressure and light smoke, likely from sitting for months 6 or more. I drove the truck around and it shifted ok and seemed to run ok.

The water pump needs replacement as the shaft wobbles like an egg beater, other than that its in good running order according to Jason.

Jason told me if I didn't buy the truck he would:backoff . Next we went to check the $300 7.3 turbo core :eek: (NOW MISSING TURBO)-cuss . Now the shop wants $250 for it not 3 bills so Jason said if you don't buy it I AM GOING TO! :backoff :backoff :backoff Well that means I have to get it too!!!

So the diesel Bronco project is now officially underway.:rolleyes: The acquisition of parts, I have a older Bronco that will have the body and remaining drivetrain removed ASAP to begin the Frame up build.

:yell: Thanks to all here and especially :hail Mel:hail for his thoughts and experience with his own Bronco to inspire me for this project.

And thanks to Jason for his help too for without him I likely would not be going down this road, I suspect he's as interested in it as I am:thumbsup:

AL

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you post the turbo motors serial number I can tell you if its REALLY a turbo block or just another non turbo 7.3 idi. What happened to the turbo? They don't just fall off a motor???

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you post the turbo motors serial number I can tell you if its REALLY a turbo block or just another non turbo 7.3 idi. What happened to the turbo? They don't just fall off a motor???
:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

Ok the Turbo was sold off the engine:mad: -cuss and where would I find the motor serial #?

According to the wrecker whom pulled it for his customer, it's a stock turbo with mid 200K miles was pulled for oil issues. It is going to be the final motor for the Bronco. the 6.9 I am purchasing is for build up of chassis, Etc. I'll IC the turbo as well seeing as the wrecker has a stock PS IC I can purchase for a couple of bills.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
All block serial numbers for the idi motors are on the small flat area just to the right of the injection pump. They start with 7.3 D for the 7.3 motors and are imprinted front to back on this pad area. They are easy to find once you know where they are. You will probably need to clean off the area because of the 200,000 miles of road sweat on the motor.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All block serial numbers for the idi motors are on the small flat area just to the right of the injection pump. They start with 7.3 D for the 7.3 motors and are imprinted front to back on this pad area. They are easy to find once you know where they are. You will probably need to clean off the area because of the 200,000 miles of road sweat on the motor.

OK, I'll look into it ASAP and get you the #'s. Thanks for the tip.