7.3L IDI in a '79 F250 Ranger

brandsz

Reaction score
My boss has a later 80's F250 with a 7.3 that replaced the worn out 6.9. However, shortly after the exchange the transmission went out and was brought to a different shop than the one that initially did the swap and said it was due to the swap. My boss says the trans isnt swapable with the different motor but reading a thread here i am wondering if it could just be because of the flywheel? (It has the 3-speed auto) Also he is selling this truck and my dad has a 79 F250 Ranger 2x4 auto with a 400 that he would give to me. Is this 7.3 going to be ok after that swap and how hard will the swap be? Im fairly new to diesels but have decent mechanical knowledge (I have rebuilt my motor in my '87 v20 pickup). Any info would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Either engine can be used with any of the 4 transmissions. You just need all the parts right up to the crank. Whoever said the trans went bad because of the swap just doesn't know their stuff.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Either engine can be used with any of the 4 transmissions. You just need all the parts right up to the crank. Whoever said the trans went bad because of the swap just doesn't know their stuff.

Plus 2 on that. I'm using a T19 with my swapped in 7.3. It works just fine. The C6 was found on both 6.9 and 7.3 IDI's prior to the E4OD taking it's place.

Heath

brandsz

Reaction score
Does anyone know how hard the drop in is into the '79 2wd? Is there anywhere that makes engine mounts for this? And pretty sure it more of a hassle than its worth but would the front axle be able to be dropped into the '79 from the late '80's 4wd.

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
The shop is probably feeding you a nice line of crap.

anyways im gonna be sticking a 6.9/7.3 in a 69 highboy here VERY SOON.

on the 79 2wd i beleive the 4x2 and 4x4 frames are different. Only axle you want out of a NEWER truck is a dana 60 straight axle. DO NOT put a junk IFS in these truck. Get you a solid axle of some sorts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.