7.3L idi cylinder wall

racin460

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello are the cylinder walls on a 7.3 thick enough to bore -.020 and be safe. I think iv seen some we're that they were thinner than the 6.9 and guys say that the 6.9 are safer to build because of it. Has any one bored there's over and been ok with it?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my personal opinion..

NO not a chance.

They are thin enough already where cavitation can occur and why would you want to lessen strength, increase chances of cavitation.

Sleeve the block!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
At the shop I used to work at, we had them bored .020 over and didn't have any problems. They would be more prone to pin holes from the cavitation. If you're going to have it fairly close to stock, I say go for it, but keep the DCA up to par in the cooling system. If you're going to go wild with your build, such as have a lot of boost or try to win drag races, probably should keep it stock bore.

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ouch....Thats a nice set of pistons, to bad there .020 over.......Do you need new pistons, Do you need to bore the cyinders? I looked at three blocks to find one with good stock bore's to ball hone and chuck standard pistons into.....If you can get away with not boring it would save a bunch of cash u can use for other stuff. Just my 2 cents

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is .020 over. Runs just fine, no cavitation, cylinders have over .200 thickness minimum throughout the block when sonic checked.

Hold up a .020 feeler gauge, if you think that will window your block then Obamacare is free.

Javier

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The feeling about boring a 7.3 are no.. don't do it.. We have some members that have run a 20 over with no problems. That member did heavy hauling all across the east without issues. Just sold that dually too after a good life driving it.. For me sleeving the block was the only sure way to go but I drive diffrantly than most. I have to get there safely. Horses need to be delievered on time. they do not like to stand in a trailer. At least the ones I own or transport. Bad things can happen to a horse standing in a trailer with their feed..

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 7.3 is bored 20 over and at roughly 100k, it is still doing well. I rebuilt that engine years ago before learning of the risks of cavitation. I've keep the DCA levels up to ***** and keep my fingers crossed.LOL

Would I do again............. NO. Would I recommend it to someone else........ NO.

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The silvolites have a 15 instead of the customary 10 thousands lower pin height. So that lower the compression ratio another 5 thous. Most all pistons are the same. A low compression piston has the pin milled higher up in the piston so its dropped that much in the bore. You can still mill some off the tops to lower it more. Just don't exceed around 15 thousands milled off the tops. More may very well burn the top ring because its that much closer to the heat of combustion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online