7.3 vs 12 valve

Ethanlogan99

Reaction score
So here it is plain and simple. What is preffered? I am looking for a new pickup and have decided between a 12 valve cummins, 1st or 2nd gen, or an obs 7.3. I know that the 12 valve would be cheaper parts wise, but then you have crappy things like the 2nd gen front ends....which cost a bit to rebuild. I can find decent obs's for 7k to 8k, and decent 2nd gens for that price too. But which would be a better bet in the long run. I am looking for a 3/4 ton single or extended cab, 5 speed.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You couldn't give me price good enough to drive a dodge, and if you did I would pull the 12v and stuff it into a Ford.

The 12v is a great engine put inside a crappy dodge truck....plus with the 5 speed in the dodge you get the joy of losing 5th gear when the nut backs off.

Ethanlogan99

Reaction score
:rotflmao If I had the time and cash I'd do a swap. But those are two things after buying a truck I won't have...at least not right away.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Buy as good an OBS as you can find, then find a low mileage dodge that's been rolled over to yank the motor

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what are you using the truck for, would be my question! An idi is a labor of love and creates a mystical loyalty among its owners! Its kinda like a Harley in that sense! You know it's not the fastest, you know it's not the most powerful, you know that it's going to leave a dab of oil on the ground everywhere you park, but dog gone it, don't she sound good!

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what are you using the truck for, would be my question! An idi is a labor of love and creates a mystical loyalty among its owners! Its kinda like a Harley in that sense! You know it's not the fastest, you know it's not the most powerful, you know that it's going to leave a dab of oil on the ground everywhere you park, but dog gone it, don't she sound good!

YES they do sound great! I loved my '93 IDI engine sound. I miss it.

Dave

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a budget of $8000, I would go 97 obs! Good usable power awesome package and then keep it mechanically sound drive train wise! Meanwhile!..... Find a 12 valve and progressively build it up the way you want and buy conversion parts as you have the means! Then when the powderchoke gets tired you have a swap ready!