7.3 starting issue...

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It most certainly is. If somebody who is unfamiliar with the vehicle gets in and tries to start, it will not. They have to ask for directions to get it to run. If you simply bypass the switch then nobody else in the world is ever going to know it is bypassed. It also works as a kill switch if you hide the button somewhere.
If someone unfamiliar with the truck gets in and pushes the button, the truck will move on its own. That is NOT safer.
Disregard. At 2am your mind isn't always at full speed
Shoot, sometimes my mind isn't at full speed at 2 PM......

Number21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If someone unfamiliar with the truck gets in and pushes the button, the truck will move on its own. That is NOT safer.

If somebody is unfamiliar with the truck they won't push the button. And it would only move if it was in gear. Starter power alone is not enough to hurt anybody. Also a momentary button stops spinning when you let go.

If you totally disable the NSS however, the vehicle can start with engine power in any gear and run people over and/or crash through buildings. It's also not safe on a manual transmission due to the possibility of bump starting in gear. Again, my idea is safer.

And it was just a temporary suggestion. Jesus christ.:rolleyes: Either way works. More likely he should fix the clutch switch or track down the real problem. Anything less is a hack job and likely not very safe.

Last edited:

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If somebody is unfamiliar with the truck they won't push the button.
That's not human nature.

And it would only move if it was in gear.
Would you park a truck out of gear?

If you totally disable the NSS however, the vehicle can start with engine power in any gear and run people over and/or crash through buildings. It's also not safe on a manual transmission due to the possibility of bump starting in gear. Again, my idea is safer.

And it was just a temporary suggestion.
Jumpering the clutch switch as a test is a temporary solution. A dash switch is not.

Jesus christ.
I don't think he drove a truck.....

Number21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You really need to stop arguing. Your suggestion is no better than mine. My suggestion is no better than yours. They are both work arounds - AKA hack jobs. It is however nice to have a "crank" button in the cab for various reasons, but you don't need to install one if you don't like it. The proper thing to do is fix whatever is causing the clutch switch to not work, and that is all we need to continue talking about.

I think you've already had too much coffee....

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, the fighting needs to STOP!! NOW!!

First and FINAL warning.

It's your truck, modify it if you wish. Do not tell someone else they are wrong because they don't agree with your opinion.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't know that was possible. LOL LOL
Requires further research, with direct experimentation (can a PSD starter motor run a coffee grinder?....).

(Buddy of mine used to tell me he could never determine his alcohol limit; he always passed out before he reached it :dunno .)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online