7.3 return line kit on 6.9?

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can I? I bought some injectors and a return line kit and the kit is for a 7.3.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Maybe is the answer. My 7.3 has always had the smaller lines on it. Does that mean it has the 6.9 kit on it.. I don't really know. I do know its the 3/16 size lines You will need to look at the end of the system. That brass fitting back at the number 8 cylinder on the returns. Also the fitting on top of the injection pump and the air bleeder off the fuel filter. Otherwise the caps are going to fit the injectors fine because they are the same injectors for any 6.9 or 7.3 engine.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I definitely have the smaller lines on my truck so i would have to compress the larger line with worm clamps at the areas mentioned. That seems like a less than stellar fix. Looks like i will be holding off on the new injector install.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
I just put 6.9 returns on my 7.3. There are multiple configurations for the returns, any will work as long as nothing leaks and excess fuel eventually makes it back to the tanks. I used tubing reducers to transition between the 3/16 and 1/4 lines rather than just forcing smaller lines on bigger nipples and vice-versa. It started up and ran yesterday for the first time in a little over a year, gonna see if returns leak (hopefully not) tonight after work.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, the fuel return block in the rear of the driver's side and at the filter will be your problems. The 6.9 hose barb's there will be too small for the larger 7.3 return lines. Either have to reuse some good sections of the 6.9 fuel line or find some other way to keep fuel/air from leaking at these locations.

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can do what Smolkin did, and just use a short piece of 6.9 hose and a reducer leading to the 7.3 line from the injector cap nipple. Just make the hose a little long so it can loop around and you don't have anything stressed where the hoses connect. I use the 6.9 kit on all my engines. 7.3 or 6.9. I prefer the centered nipples and feel they are less prone to leaking.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online