7.3 return line caps

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Another trick is to cut the hose 3/8" or so longer. Then rotate the natural curve of each line in the opposite direction of the next. curve toward valve cover, curve away from valve cover.
I've done this a lot of times. I found that if I tried to cut them to the exact length needed, invariably, I'd always cut some short. To this day, I still cut them slightly long. Maybe not 3/8" but still long.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Would you be willing to pay $500-900 for a set with those improvements?

Seems to me that, with all the new metal printers out there, these could be made for far cheaper than 500$. We could certainly weld these together at my work for only a few dollars each. I could inquire and see how much it would cost to have them machined out of solid metal stock. My guess is that they wont be too bad, but will certainly be more expensive than the shoddy plastic caps.

Does anyone have the critical dimensions available? My company has been looking at getting into new markets...

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems to me that, with all the new metal printers out there, these could be made for far cheaper than 500$. We could certainly weld these together at my work for only a few dollars each. I could inquire and see how much it would cost to have them machined out of solid metal stock. My guess is that they wont be too bad, but will certainly be more expensive than the shoddy plastic caps.

Does anyone have the critical dimensions available? My company has been looking at getting into new markets...

If you have a cap, you have the dimensions...

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you have a cap, you have the dimensions...

Yep. Buy a cheapo set. Test fit all of them on an injector, to find the best fit. There you go, use that as the template for dimensions.

Don't forget the chamfer on the inside bottom, so that it will slide over greased o-rings, instead of taking a bite out of them.

I have been wondering about buying strong tubing. (Not pipe. Pipe is usually welded and has a seam.) If I could find the right inside diameter.

Then cut to the right length. Chamfer the inside bottom. Drill holes in the appropriate places. Then silver solder or braze smaller tubing for the nipples. Even JBWeld would probably work. These things don't get THAT hot...

Got to be able to do even that for a lot less than 500 bucks...

Pretty sure you should be able to find "hobby tubing" in the correct sizes fairly easily...

And brass or even aluminum tubing should be stronger and more resistant than plastic.

ISPKI

Reaction score
It would be nice if someone were able to get their hands on manufacturing dimensions so that we could see the actual tolerances. Reverse engineering a poor quality piece of plastic isnt going to yield better quality parts, just making them out of metal is not good enough.

If possible, we would likely laser weld the parts together but the real difficulty is creating the two O-Ring grooves inside the sleeve. Since the part doesnt really have anything else to hold onto, those grooves need to be fairly precise and without razor sharp edges, but cutting them and then deburring them would be time consuming. I could see being able to make a full set in 1 hour, but at my company's burden rates, we would be up around 200$ plus the material costs (roughly 8$ea).

ISPKI

Reaction score
It would be ideal if we could find out what tolerancing was used in the original manufacture of the injectors.

Jake60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my lines the other day, the old ones must have been on there a very long time because most of them were worn so thin the tops of the caps broke off in little rings.

You must be registered for see images attach

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

PROFG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would seem like a somewhat better option would be very flexible, as in PTFE, tubing with some slack between injectors so no stress on joint or cap. Tubing would not have to be cut exactly to length and would withstand fuel/temp better.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could see a 'rail' made from solid ptfe that is bored out, then drilled for the injectors.

Maybe.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could see a 'rail' made from solid ptfe that is bored out, then drilled for the injectors.

Maybe.

Sheesh have you ever priced PTFE? LOL That stuff is expensive. It'd be neat but probably twice the cost of the R&D rails.

I was very shocked when I found out how expensive PTFE is!

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just looked quickly online.

1-1/2" 6061 square aluminum stock is like $12/foot.

1-1/2" square PTFE stock is $125/ft :eek: