7.3 problem

Ackerdiesel

Reaction score
Im new to the idis but was given one today and when it was running before it would pick up and rev up really fast. Anyone know what might cause this?

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a fuel leak so check around the injectors and the fuel filter for wet ness

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
running low on fuel, air intrusion anywhere in the fuel system, also the injector pump may be toast.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. How did you find us... We have more experiance here than any dealership anywhere. Many of your questions have been discussed here many times before so rest easy. Someone will tell you whats going on. As for your reving up issues its a tuff question to answer easily but... To start with your tanks must have at least 1/4 tank because usually the suction head breaks off and the suction can't reach the last 1/4 tank of fuel. Also you could have mant differant issues going on. If any of the return line caps on each injector are wet thats a fuel and air leak. They cause lots of issues. Really cheap to replace at around $35.00 and 1 hours work. How many miles are on the injection pump and injectors. They usually last around 125,000 miles more or less. They degrade so slowly that we don't feel the power loss. Then after replacing them it feels like we added two more cylinders to the big V8. The fuel filter needs to be changed at least once a year too. That could be starving the engine for fuel too. Read the Hall of Shame for shops that we feel are not the best to deal with. Reasons are posted first hand too.

Ackerdiesel

Reaction score
Ill post pics wgen the idi gets the new drivers door. Also i found yall fro heaths posts on comp d. And history is really unknown about this truck. Im a highschool student that is going to be going to school to be a diesel mechanic so my moms boyfriend gave me this idi so that i would have some experience with diesels other than the dt466 and cummins engines at work and im a sucker for a good deal and egar to learn so please take it easy on me im not like most people think that the diesel driving high schoolers are. I know that blowing smoke isint everything so in turn i will not as questions about how to make my trucks blow smoke but i will come to you guys for mechanical guidance. Also does anyone know where to get a COMPLETE wiring diagram for this truck headlights windshield wipers everything? It desperatly needs a rewire. Thanks in advance. And thanks for the warm welcomeing

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you have just joined a group who needs rehab for idis congratulations
but i dont think anyone mentioned the gov spring yet being put in wrong we gotta remember no histroy here does it rev then die ?

Ackerdiesel

Reaction score
No. The previous owner said if it got low on fuel it would pick up and run like when the fuel got low if you were running 1500 rpm it wpuld just automatically rev to about 2500 rpm.

Ackerdiesel

Reaction score
Also i just started the engine. With a heavy dose of penetrating oil to start. Ad found oil blowing out of the exhaust at first?

dieselgiant

Dieselgiant
Reaction score
Please be careful when using any aerosol anything, starting fluid, wd40, ether ect. when trying to start it without glow plugs. These engines have very high compression so you can easily hydrolock the engine, and if one or more of the glowplugs is active it could ignite the fluid and damage the engine:eek:. If you need to use starting fluid use with caution. There's no better deal then free, so you've got your hands on one of the best engine to work/learn on. What school you going too if you don't mind me asking.

Ackerdiesel

Reaction score
Southeastern illinios. If someone is in a generous and kind mood could you give me a call at 2seven0nine5two7four9one? I have some questions about this engine and my comp died and its too much to type.