7.3 NA Rebuild Thread - Pics - Much help needed! :)

thehollywoodjoe

Reaction score
So, I got a great deal on a spare 7.3L NA engine. The guy swapped a 99 7.3L into his truck, and sold me this oil burner :) It's complete from the pressure plate in the back, to the fan in the front.

I've gotten started by removing everything from the front of the block. Now, I've got a big heavy ball of oil. Any suggestions on the best way to clean the years of oil leaks off of this thing?

You must be registered for see images attach

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
yellow original can of "easy off" WILL STRIP EVERYTHING OFF. purple power is good too. i also got lucky with oreilly brand foaming degreaser. works well.

make sure you water down the purple power.. i tried it straight once and it left a white film.

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats up with eleanor? Care to share some pics and details?

Pressure Washer... If it has alot of caked up oil wear a full tyvek painting suit with safety glasses and dont do it near any structures.

thehollywoodjoe

Reaction score
My wife calls Eleanor my other woman...she takes all my money and leaves me behind :p I bought it almost 2 years ago as a shell and have done EVERYTHING myself. Even the paint and body...which needs to be redone :p SO much to learn on your first project, having no background in mechanics or auto body. But, it's been a fun road and she runs and drives. I'm currently looking for someone willing to teach me some auto body stuff while helping me finish the body the right way.

I built the engine from a 390 block out of a fairlane: Ross Forged flat tops, all forged internals, windage tray, original cast heads (planned some boost), street dom intake, 282s comp cam, 600cfm edelbrock performer.
I rebuilt the toploader (toploaderheaven.com is the bees knees, and the guy who sells the kit and guide is always available via phone to help you through the rebuild process...which wasn't needed the guide was so good!).
I built the rear end with 3.53 gears for cruisin, has a detroit locker, new axles, and a rear disc brake conversion.
Car came factory with front discs that I rebuilt, a big block, the toploader is still the original, and the rear fold down seats. Kept the red interior colors, and trimmed it in gold. Painted it Garnet Metallic with Vintage Gold Metallic stripes.

thehollywoodjoe

Reaction score
Sorry, Didn't realize the pics didn't attach properly.

Back on topic, got my buddy's pressure washer and a ton of degreaser. Gonna try to get it shot tomorrow evening. I'm having trouble getting the radiator fan off :mad: The fan clutch tool kit doesn't have the metric size for the bolt. Of course the 1-7/8" is just big enough to slip off.

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great man, like the color scheme. I have a 65 fastback but dream of building eleanor. The only problem is the prices on 67 fastbacks skyrocketed after the movie!!

I just rebuilt a 6.9, my first diesel build. Really not any different than a gas build, everything is just bigger. I found the best way to get the stuck fan off is to use an air chisel to kinda "impact" it off. Also dont forget its reverse threads.

thehollywoodjoe

Reaction score
Ok, I pressure washed this thing, which got pretty messy! However, it cleaned up really nicely.

Next step in the teardown is removing the IP, intake manifold, then heads. Is there anything I should do PRIOR TO doing the teardown? I don't want to get the thing all torn apart and wish I had done some other sort of prep work. Also, is there anything I can do to ensure the IP/timing won't be as much of an issue when putting it back together?

thehollywoodjoe

Reaction score
Looks great man, like the color scheme. I have a 65 fastback but dream of building eleanor. The only problem is the prices on 67 fastbacks skyrocketed after the movie!!

I just rebuilt a 6.9, my first diesel build. Really not any different than a gas build, everything is just bigger. I found the best way to get the stuck fan off is to use an air chisel to kinda "impact" it off. Also dont forget its reverse threads.

Got the fan off with the chisel method. 2 hits and it was off :)

I actually prefer the 65 fastback body to the regular 67 fastback style. Now shelby/eleanor 67 looks are a different story ;)

If you're really interested in finding a 67 at a reasonable price, keep an eye on the vintagemustangforum.com for sale ads. People have very practical pricing there: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/1967-through-1968-mustangs-sale/

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I pressure washed this thing, which got pretty messy! However, it cleaned up really nicely.

Next step in the teardown is removing the IP, intake manifold, then heads. Is there anything I should do PRIOR TO doing the teardown? I don't want to get the thing all torn apart and wish I had done some other sort of prep work. Also, is there anything I can do to ensure the IP/timing won't be as much of an issue when putting it back together?

How you doing..... Im in deltona =)
Just make sure you line up the "y" marks on the timing gears when you put everything back together and you should be good.

Here is a thred with all the 7.3 idi head specs and rebuild procedeure I scanned from my service manual, idk if it would help you with your rebuild.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?58782-Cylinder-head-and-valves

And here are just a bunch of specs you can run through that may also help.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...-from-Ford-service-manual&p=681279#post681279

thehollywoodjoe

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! Just got the tools to measure everything. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to get it down to the point of measuring something :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online