7.3 idi running like an old tractor PLEASE HELP!!!!

93_idi_Turbo

Reaction score
I have a 1993 f250 7.3 idi turbo that only starts if it's had time to cool down, and when it does start it runs like an old tractor puffing white and grey smoke and shaking like its missing a motor mount. if anyone has any ideas please give me any and all advice on what you think is wrong.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all the canadains are so spread out!
throw some new injectors and return lines on her while your there

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
There are quite a few Canadians on here, even remember a Frenchman joining and introducing himself a while back. It's really cool to have an international site here.

You are experiencing what is called heat soak. When the tolerances inside your pump start to wear, heat will not transfer from one part to another, causing the space between them to change and causing a difficulty in pumping out fuel. A rag soaked in cool water will cool the pump housing down and restore the tolerances necessary for it to operate again. This is a common trick many use to get themselves out of a jam. It should be a temporary thing though until a new pump is sourced. Good luck with your rig.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
About your problem.. Heat soak may just be the issue but... If we know how many miles are on the injection pump (IP) and injecters we can make bettter suggestions as to the issues. At around 125,000 miles is felt that the injection pump and injecters are well worn out. So get more and some get less miles on them. Buying from a know source is the best thing when buying these parts too.Buying from the lowest ebay selller will get you what you pay for and that wont be a pump or injecter that will last very long. Please read the Hall of Shame forum here to know who not to buy from. Sadly we don't have a Hall of Fame forum for the good business people out there.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey good to know im not the only canadian on here haha

Oh I assure you you are not the ONLY Canucklehead here....there are quite a few of us...

Welcome to Oil Burners, the best place for help and info on these old rides ...BAR NONE...take a few minutes to go through the tech section, the FAQ section, and sadly the Hall of Shame.

Feel free to ask away, someone is usually on here just about 24hrs a day...

How about some pics of this rig of yours?

Again welcome to OB

Al

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a similar problem. Got worse to the point it was leaking through the weap hole under the pump. Made it work until I got my new parts from Conestoga Diesel (http://conestogadiesel.com/). Mel, Suzi, and the crew provided me with quality parts and info. Most on here will highly recommend them. ;Sweet;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As posted above... The people at Conestoga Diesel Injection really know whats happening with our injection system. Mel has owned his 1983 truck with the 6.9 diesel engine from day one. Its been known for many years and lots of testing is done on that before he sells to anyone. He has turbocharged and intercooled that engine along with the Moose pumps testing. Go to a rally and see it in person... Its a faboulas looking well takne care of truck.