7.3 IDI Rocker Arms removal and instillation

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome Pic .. if i do read it correctly on Step 1 it say exactly what you mentioned .. However that left me wondering where in the world is TDC LOL

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took a picture of my grimey spare engine. You can see the timing mark (groove) on the damper just above the timing plate. TDC mark is on the timing plate at the lower tube, marked with white. If it was clean you could see the line and "0". When the damper groove and "0" on plate are aligned, that is TDC for #1 and #4.
Right click on picture and select view image for a smaller pic.

Attachments

• DSC00237.jpg
    DSC00237.jpg
    444.7 KB · Views: 88

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took a picture of my grimey spare engine. You can see the timing mark (groove) on the damper just above the timing plate. TDC mark is on the timing plate at the lower tube, marked with white. If it was clean you could see the line and "0". When the damper groove and "0" on plate are aligned, that is TDC for #1 and #4.
Right click on picture and select view image for a smaller pic.

This is absolutely the best pic Thanks .Talk about Simplicity ;Sweet;Sweet

I can see the grove above the Timing plate clearly which i am guessing it is technically pass the TDC and before the Vertical and that is the way i should set mine like .

Last edited:

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update ..

1st of all i want to thank all of you for all your guide/support , doe's and Don't , Thanks for the Pic's and torque values . You guys are da best .. I coulda fudged it all up if i did not ask ..

Push rods with copper end went up and in there place , Finding the 11 Oclock *20 before vertical was not hard at all or maybe i got lucky .

All rockers went on smooth blots went in easy and simple , torqued to 20lb ... Rotated the crank manually several times and all looked ok

Added some fresh oil as lubricant all over the rocker

Installed the modified VC that will host the new turbo drain line , torqued VC to 6lb , connected every thing and cranked her up .. I will be darn if i don't feel the truck smoother with them freed up rocker ( they were so rusted and had pitted as the truck sat for 8 years before i bought it ) Now time to do the Passenger side for sure .

OOh and rigged a plastic plug to cover the VP old CDR hole ( i will have to pick some good rubber plugs that wont get dry and brittle like the temp plastic plug i have in place )

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hate to break it to you, but I would be looking at a new set of rockers. If they were rusted that badly the wear surfaces are almost certainly damaged, and even if you cleaned the rust up there's still damage to the surface that will cause abnormal wear. Probably not critical, but I would plan to replace them as soon as you can get the money for a new set.

WarNose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
11:00 or 20* from vertical looks like it would be rotated past the timing plate. It does seem like a wild ass guess to some degree to get exactly 11:00 without a protractor, and def more difficult with the engine in the truck.

Resurrecting an old thread here, but has anybody noticed that 11:00 would actually be 30 degrees from vertical?

Every 10 degrees is about 5/8" along the circumference of the dampener.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin