7.3 IDI in a '79 F-250 Ranger

brandsz

Reaction score
Looking to install a 7.3 idi into a '79 F-250 Ranger. Does anyone know how hard it would be to fit in or if anyone makes an engine mount for this?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
IDIeselman is another that has dont this, several others have posted up pictures of what and how they did it but you will have to search them out. i dont have th links off hand.

i dont think it is to hard and the motor mounts are the hardest part. if you get a diesel bell housing it will bolt right up to your 4 speed T-18 or NP435. if you have an auto you will need a diesel one which i am sure you could pick up reasonable or even free on this list.

not much to the wiring either.

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll have to fab up your own mounts. Use the transmission to locate the engine, just be careful with driveline angle while doing this.
As was allready said you need a diesel trans.
This is a relatively easy swap but you will have some welding and fab work to do. Plan on removing the nose,get the largest radiator made for this truck, fab a fan shroud, return fuel line, possibly new front springs and if your going with a turbo either a body lift or you'll have to notch out the floorpan for downpipe clearance.
There's probably more that I'm forgetting but this will give you a general idea of whats involved.

Dennis