7.3 IDI in a 1971 F350

Discussion in 'Diesel Conversion Forum' started by Thewespaul, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Thewespaul

Thewespaul Supporting Member Supporting Member

Posting this for my father who is not yet on the website,

Today my father took a big step, he bought his first IDI. For $600 he got a 1989 F-Superduty with a 7.3 IDI NA and a zf5. Truck has sat in a field for the past ten years after going though a inheritance nightmare, but within an afternoon we had it running ;Sweet

So our plan is to pull the cab off and part it out, we will drop in the cab from my great-uncle's 1971 f350 which was donated to our truck collection along with the antique bulldozer he hauled behind the truck. We plan on doing a frame up restoration with powdercoating the chassis and building a bed. The engine will be rebuilt along with the trans, we are planning on doing head studs, type 4 cam, coated pistons and comp 910s. We would like to turbo the truck but will have to make a kit from scratch to work with our plan.

There's gonna be a good bit of fabrication involved but we hope to have a great reliable vehicle that we can tow my parent's Avion trailer around the country with.

Thanks for checking it out!

Photos:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  2. compressionignitionrules

compressionignitionrules Full Access Member

sounds cool, especially with a 71 F350 body. try again with those pics;Sweet

oh there they are :rolleyes:

3. 79jasper

79jasper Chickenhawk

Another one for @IDIoit to see. :poke

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

4. Thewespaul

Today the bed came off, it used to be a nice fabricated bed but someone hacked it up into a welding bed and welded it straight to the frame. Cab is in surprisingly good condition!

Attached Files:

5. manimal

manimal Supporting Member Supporting Member

Any progress on this?

6. Thewespaul

No... it's too damn hot right now and plans have changed with the project, we are taking chassis from an 89 f250 with a low miles drivetrain w/ zf5 turbo idi gear vendors and exhaust brake, paid $2000 for it.... that will be going under the 71

Super duty is higher on priority list and will be getting frame up resto and I'm looking for a factory turbo engine that I can test the limits of, going to be doing a lot of fabricating for the air and fuel on that truck, working with an engineering buddy on it, should be sweet.

manimal likes this.