7.3 idi F350 overheats while pulling

crr31c

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Gonna try some things this weekend. Will keep everyone posted

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I switched to a high-flo walker straight thru muffler and my EGT's dropped 200 deg. But I have a turbo, which would help reduce the sound.

You should turn your fuel screw back a flat. See if that helps. Also, get your timing double checked.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Turning your fuel up will raise your EGT's. If you've got black smoke, turn the fuel down untill the smoke goes away, that should help your EGT's.
If you completely eliminate the exhaust smoke, you'll most likely lose power. You should see some smoke from your exhaust at lower elevations under situations such as flooring the throttle, lugging the engine hard, or when towing heavy up hill or at higher elevations. If you mostly eliminate the smoke while unloaded, you will see more while towing. If you're not seeing excessive black smoke at lower elevations, I'd be thinking about opening up the exhaust next.

crr31c

Reaction score
Rolling a good bit of coal accelerating while towing. So yes thinking I'll turn the fuel down a flat and look into opening up exhaust

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can only speak from limited knowledge of owning three of these trucks and one 6.2. That truck was geared to run 55 for extended periods by Ford when new so this might be a case where 60 is your cruise speed. As you have noted at that speed you are experiencing great performance. With that said your engine temps and egt's seem off at 60, 225 seems high at that speed/rpm. None of my trucks (all N/A) would get over 200 at that speed.

choppedjunk

Reaction score
Have you checked to see if the heat is coming from the C6 that thing doesn’t like that kind of load and that kind of RPM for very long. Bypass the trans cooler in the radiator and install a larger external cooler and larger sump pan. More oil and more cooling. IDI engines typically run cool or at least the two I have owned always did. Just my humble opinion.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tow my 7500lb travel trailer with my NA e250 7.3 c6 with 3.54s. I don’t have any over heating issues. On flat ground I usually run 60-65mph. If I try and go past that my EGT go up. On some of the bigger hills I have been down to 50-55mph by the end.

When your fan clutch kicks in, do you see a drop in temps. I can hear my fan kick in and when I do the temps drop almost immediately.

You mentioned a turbo and a GV. Why the GV/OD? I have a DNE2 OD, but I never use it while towing. Adding a low stall towing diesel converter to the c6 can help some.

I would say change the thermostat to be safe and make sure the fan is actually kicking in. If you search there is a procedure for adjusting the fan clutch spring so it will kick in sooner. I am thinking of doing this in mine.

You should be able to get a used turbo kit fairly cheap. With what you have done to the truck already I would suggest adding one. You don’t need the GV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fred Smith

Reaction score
Ok so this is my first diesel. 1988 F350 dually 7.3 idi C6 2WD 3.55 rear. Bought as a project. Built gassers and hot rods all my life so was wanted to try something new and needed a tow vehicle for my 32' double slide TT. about 8500 lb.

So here's the rub. Got about 500 miles on rebuilt engine and tranny. Reman IP and injectors. She'll run all day no problems can get up to 70 mph temp never gets above 165. Hook my trailer up, and i can do 55 no problem on the back roads, but too many hills or too much highway and she starts running hot. At 55 no EGT to speak of. I can get to 60 on the hwy temp gets to around 195-210. Exhaust temp 700. Anything above 60 and temp starts rising. On hills the egt's run up to about 1290-1325. If i push too long or hill is too long/steep temp starts climbing. Oh an fyi oil temp stays around 180-188 while pulling. Rotella T5 15w40 syn. Blend. New aluminum 4 core radiator. Please help. I have completely restored this truck but starting to wonder if it's going to meet my needs. Would hate to sell it. There is definitely an emotional attachment. But still need a tow vehicle. Any input welcome.
Honestly sounds like the fuel is turned up, and engine is being worked too hard.

Can you hear the fan when it engages, I know you said it is moving air, but can you hear it in the cab when it engages?

Our 32 ft tt is right at 12k on the scales. Are you sure of the weight of yours?
She runs about 700 exhaust temp at 60 mph on flat interstate. Can't even get close to 60 on an incline. No turbo. Idk what the timing is. But is set to the mark at 2000 rpm by ferret meter as procedure states. No real smoke to speak of cruising on flat land at 60. Accelerating while pulling trailer is black at high egt's on hills black when i ease of on hills and lose speed-no smoke

Fred Smith

Reaction score
You might check the two transmission lines coming out of transmission going to cooler. Inside the fittings are valves. Remove them and replace with open fittings.

crr31c

Reaction score
Update....Upon removing the thermostat to check it. I realized i bought a motorad thermostat not motorcraft. It looks identical. What is the significance of the motorcraft thermostat?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Better quality. For some reason, all of the others have a reputation of giving trouble. Motorcrafts can too, but overall, they are fairly trouble free.

crr31c

Reaction score
Update. Upon removing the thermostat to check it. I realized i bought a motorad thermostat not motorcraft. It looks identical. What is the significance of the motorcraft thermostat?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online