7.3 idi F350 overheats while pulling

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update. Upon removing the thermostat to check it. I realized i bought a motorad thermostat not motorcraft. It looks identical. What is the significance of the motorcraft thermostat?

Other thermostats don’t flow enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update. Upon removing the thermostat to check it. I realized i bought a motorad thermostat not motorcraft. It looks identical. What is the significance of the motorcraft thermostat?
Some things are such junk they should never be used for any reason Motorad is one of them.

hrsitton

Reaction score
Based on my experience.....may or may not apply.

Bought an International U-Haul with an 89 7.3 idi.

Same deal. Temp was fine running on flat at 60 mph all day. Pull a long steep hill and she'd over heat.

Bottom line, $450 for a new International fan clutch and all was solved. Was not possible to overheat no matter the conditions.

Fan clutch was kicking in but.......

The clutches have a silicone fluid inside that breaks down over time which reduces the maximum rpm the clutch will achieve. It's been years since I saw it, but I read a chart that showed the approximate rpm loss with miles on the clutch.

Same thing happened to me with a 300/6 gas engine.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fwiw
Try searching i think blue dot fan clutch...
Some super fancy oem unit...
I think ALSO $1.00 rebuild ...
Tech 101 here or somewhere a member posted how to change the fluid with rc car shock juice.

Slicknik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't have enough air flow , you can buy a 10 row or 100 row radiator , doesn't matter all that does is make it take longer to get to operating temperature.

Insufficient Air flow is your problem. But could be that you need to run a motorcraft thermostat

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance