7.3 IDI Engine Vibration At Idle

Drake Smith

Reaction score
So I'm new to these trucks. At idle, I can feel the engine running like vibrating almost. Seems to mostly be when it's in drive. Is this normal? Like is this just how these old diesel trucks are? When I have it in park and have the hood open, the engine isnt moving and it runs and idles fine. The high idle doesnt usually come on though but idk if that makes a difference or not. So the motor mounts on it are good right? Even if I cant see the engine moving? Dont think I have any misfires either. Code reader didnt pull any up and engine seems to be running normally. Just thought maybe it was the vibration from the engine running. There is definitely a vibration near the end of the tranny too in certain gears when it's trying to upshift if I step on the throttle more. Guy I bought the truck from says possible bad TPS and that it could cause that. Code reader was pulling a code 23 and code 13. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drop the inspection cover on the bottom of the transmission, you will need a 3/8" socket and maybe a ratcheting box end wrench. Check the 4 torque converter bolts for proper torque. They should require a 9/16" wrench and 47 ft. Lbs of torque.

Also check your exhaust near the firewall and where it passes by the transmission pan. They like to loosen up and rub the pan.

Drake Smith

Reaction score
Okay but what is causing the engine vibration? I'm I suppose to be able to feel the engine running? It's pretty noticeable. Doesnt vibrate the entire truck but its noticeable enough that you can feel it.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing this is your first diesel or first time being around them? If so, yes they have inherently more vibration than a gas engine.

The clatter, noise and smell is part of the normal charm of a compression ignition engine, especially one of this design.

The vibration is more apparent in Drive because you are loading the engine and slightly decreasing the RPM's.

Drake Smith

Reaction score
Oh okay. Nah I used to have a Chevy with a 6.5 Detroit but it didnt seem to vibrate as much I guess. Was wondering if that's maybe just how these IDIs run. I'm not sure if I got screwed on the deal or not. Paid $1800 for the truck. The inside is in great shape, outside has some rust and paint loss. No blowby! But the truck is leaking oil everywhere. Theres oil all over the bottom of the pan and it's like oil mixed with dirt. The oil filter is visibly not tightened either and oil is dripping down the sides of it. Valve covers are leaking really bad too. Not sure if they are dripping down the back of the engine or what. Truck only drips a few spots on the ground, mainly from the loose filter (thank you previous owner for going to jiffy lube...). Looks like the oil pan gasket too and possibly a rear main but I cant tell. Oil is a little low on dipstick.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a idi will leak it's how they are made and after 20 plus years everything tends leak here and there. Oil change is not hard deciding on what brand want to go with is 15 w40 is the weight just my thoughts.

High idle will make a small vibration or cold advance as they say, I'll let the idi gurus here help more.

Drake Smith

Reaction score
The truck never goes into high idle even if I set the high idle before starting. Always fires right up though.

Drake Smith

Reaction score
Engine was replaced at 70k with a new engine from the dealer. Truck has had 72k miles since then. Previous engine was replaced due to cavitation. Owner had all the paperwork from him and the previous two owners.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a idi will leak it's how they are made and after 20 plus years everything tends leak here and there. Oil change is not hard deciding on what brand want to go with is 15 w40 is the weight just my thoughts.

High idle will make a small vibration or cold advance as they say, I'll let the idi gurus here help more.

These engines are not made to leak. I will agree after years of use the gaskets and seals will start leaking, but that is normal for any engine.

The thread starter said he had leaks with dirt stuck to them. Those are not bad leaks. The bad leaks are the clean shiny leaks with no dirt on them.

It's well known among idi owners that you have to tighten the oil filter with a wrench fairly tight when installing the filter to prevent it from leaking. Most filters are just tightened hand tight after the gasket touches, not this one.

Drake Smith

Reaction score
Yeah theres a little bit of dirt mixed in the oil that's on the bottom, some of it is shiny but most of it isnt.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple of things, reading codes on these only deals with the automatic transmission. The IDI is not a computer controlled engine, so you will never get any engine codes.
The high idle ,do you have power to it with the key on, if so you set it by when you first turn key on push the throttle and release, this allows the high idle solenoid to extend, then start engine once wait light goes out. Once correct engine temp is sensed the high idle , cold advance disengage,

Drake Smith

Reaction score
Well my temp gauge doesn't work I dont think. It stays just right above the c even after 20 or 30 minutes of driving in 75 degree weather. And I knew how yo set the high idle but I've done that and it idles normally. I pulled a code 13 from the computer which is a low idle code. Maybe theres something wrong with the solenoid??

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The engine temp switch which controls high idle and cold advance is a different one the engine temp one for the gauges. I would check and see if you have power to the solenoid with key one and cold. I do believe you are getting the code 13 in error, as I have state the computer has no connection with an IDI engine. It is only for the E4OD transmission to operate correctly. You might find this wiring diagram some help for the idle,

You must be registered for see images attach

Drake Smith

Reaction score
I know they are separate from each other. I was just also stating that I find it weird that my temp gauge doesnt work even after driving for a bit in pretty warm weather.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just trying to be of some help. Not everyone understands how these systems work. Nice thing about IDI , if you have power for the pump and fuel they normally will run.