7.3 idi cooling system problem

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys my 1990 7.3 idi n/a is having some cooling problems if you will. So I replaced the radiator and the top and bottom hoses and the t stat with a motorcraft one and rebuilt the oil cooler. So when I first start it up and drive it to work it never get above 140 going down hills and everything. But when I go home pulling the hills it get up to temp. Anything I can do to get it to warm up in the morning?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where is your temp sender?

Are you wanting the coolant temps up for heating the cab in the cooler mornings?

You can cheat and plug the block heater to a timer and have it set to come on a couple of hours before you usually leave. A old piece of cardboard in front of radiator works too. LOL

Heath

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I assume you're running a real gauge?
At first thought, I would say sounds like your fan is staying locked.
What are ambient temps is he morning vs evening?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Real gauge is in the warning light spot and I have the dash gauge still working and it never get to the n on normal in the morning. The morning temp is about 45 right now and about at 5 it's 57 or so. Yea I want it for the cooler mornings.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you don't find anything wonky with the fan clutch (you can hear it with it's locked...), I'd just get a plug timer, set it to turn on 2 or 3 hours before you leave for work, and plug the block heater in. Still won't be hot enough to warm the cab immediately, but it will start blowing warm air sooner.

Heath

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the only thing I have found will make these trucks warm up faster is e-fans. only because they wont be blowing cold air over everything. also there is about 8 gallons of coolant to warm up.

maybe the heater core is plugged up.

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't find anything wonky with the fan clutch (you can hear it with it's locked...), I'd just get a plug timer, set it to turn on 2 or 3 hours before you leave for work, and plug the block heater in. Still won't be hot enough to warm the cab immediately, but it will start blowing warm air sooner.

Heath

I don't think I've heard this kick the fan on? I just know when I did the head gaskets on it couple weeks ago. The fan was really hard to move then would hit an easy spot when spinning it by hand.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you see any oil or buildup around the center of the fan near the snail spring piece? Pretty much sounds like you need to replace it.

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you see any oil or buildup around the center of the fan near the snail spring piece? Pretty much sounds like you need to replace it.

Looks like a little bit I'll pull it in the shop. Works slow for the day.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Maybe your thermostat,s sticking open. I know last December 17, it was in the low single digits with a 25 to 30 mph north wind. I drove my truck north into the wind for about an hour and a half. My temperature stayed right around 190.

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long is the morning commute?

About 20mins sometimes longer depending how traffic is. My other one never had a problem getting to temp so I don't know why this one is? I've replaced the t stat twice with motorcraft ones.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And you know it's only really around 140F due to not only the gauge but the lack of heat in the cab too? On the ride home pulling the grades,when you see your gauge run up to normal 190-210F,you can turn the heat on and get roasted out with ease?

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And you know it's only really around 140F due to not only the gauge but the lack of heat in the cab too? On the ride home pulling the grades,when you see your gauge run up to normal 190-210F,you can turn the heat on and get roasted out with ease?

Yes it get hot pretty fast. But the blower motor doesn't seem to blow as fast it should.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online