7.3 idi coolant in oil

robert snodgrass

Reaction score
So today I did the compressed air in all 8cylinders fore 5 minutes each and cylinder 2 produced a slight indication of smoke coming out of radiator no bubbles or overflowing all the other cylinders showed a little bit of blow by but no bubbles or smoke in radiator except cylinders 5 and 7 showed substantial leaks and it sounded like it was coming from drivers side in or under intake manifold but still no bubbles or smoke in radiator all rockers wer removed so theirs no chance that lifters wer open from compressed valve springs so looks like I will be removing heads any ideas or input from u guys

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If you had air coming out of the intake with all of the rockers removed, then those cylinders had intake valves that aren't sealing.

MICHAEL MICHAUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be weary of any gaskets anywhere after a truck has sat still for 8 years. The gaskets depend on oil to stay fresh. They dry out and lose integrity. Sounds like you've got to pull your heads. You might want to do water pump and front plate gaskets since you're going to be in deep already. Replace all of the gaskets you can.

1992 idi 73

Reaction score
After going through the head gasket circus of my own you sound a lot like my truck. Phase 1 when I was losing coolant my dad and I thought it was the oil cooler to and we did the same stuff that you did. After that all it was is I would just refill the coolant every week until... Phase 2, after sitting at a camp ground for a day or two I was stranded when the engine Hydro locked !!!!! This was the beginning of phase two where at a special spot the engine would hydro lock and not turn over. In the misted of this I swapped transmissions (bad E4OD) and I thought I could just live with it until... Phase 3, Finally my lifter had had enough and I lost three lifters making the exhaust come out of the intake :(. This was it I parked it and rented out a garage to work on it and pull the heads. What my dad and I found was a blown head and the result of the hydro locking killed my lifters. So the point of this is to explain that I think your head gaskets are blown and you are in the market for a good set of victor reinz head gaskets. The job is not that bad just a long weekend. (P.S. I love the slit rear windows better than my single glass ones:))

robert snodgrass

Reaction score
I wanted to add that I filled cooling system with water fore last test and since I did not start it the water level has stayed at top or radiator where it should be fore over a week now without droping so it’s only leaking when it is hott So we will see what it looks like when heads are pulled crossing my fingers the heads aren’t cracked

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online