7.3 IDI Air Con

CDiesel

Reaction score
Okay loaded thread here sorry.

my truck has no factory AC.

I need to know if I should get an aftermarket and make it work, or get a donor truck.

if I get an aftermarket, has anyone done this and do you have any tips.

If I get a donor truck does it have to be a diesel? Or just same year group. Does power stroke work or just idi?

Thanks in advance.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year truck do you have?

Personally I would put factory ac in, it’s not hard and you can buy everything new for $300-$500, you will need the heater controls with ac from a donor truck and the under hood air box with ax also.

You will need to stay with the same engine for a donor as the lines change per engine and body change.

CDiesel

Reaction score
i
What year truck do you have?

Personally I would put factory ac in, it’s not hard and you can buy everything new for $300-$500, you will need the heater controls with ac from a donor truck and the under hood air box with ax also.

You will need to stay with the same engine for a donor as the lines change per engine and body change.

To sum up and clarify. I need to find a truck and get the AC controls and heater box only, the rest I can get new online?

Detroit80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i

To sum up and clarify. I need to find a truck and get the AC controls and heater box only, the rest I can get new online?

That's the way I'd do it. My personal policy is that I never get wear, maintenance or rubber items out of a junkyard, unless it's absolutely my only choice (which, yes..duh moment there, lol). This would include things like the AC hard lines that have rubber sections in them. Especially so when new stuff is dirt cheap from places like Rock Auto.

I also wouldn't be getting used evaporator or condensor cores, ESPECIALLY those from vehicles that have sat for any length of time with an open system. But even closed, functional systems can suffer from corrosion issues inside, especially those with owners that think it's perfectly normal to have to "top off" the refrigerant levels occasionally. If refrigerant can get out, moisture can get in.

Don't forget engine side brackets for the compressor, and bracket for the receiver/dryer.

It's been a long time since I've been inside the dash of my truck...do the HVAC controls use cables/rods for anything? Or is it all vacuum/electrically operated? I'm betting that the vacuum harness in the dash is going to be different for an AC truck than a non AC truck, though I don't know for certain...never actually seen a non AC truck (not saying they don't exist, just that I personally have not seen one, thus don't know for certain how they're set up).

I'd probably be verifying that there aren't any straight hard lines (as in no rubber sections, not necessarily without bends) in there somewhere too. Now I'm going to have to take a closer look at my truck tonight to see exactly what's in there, lol.

Reggie f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have already done exactly this. I took the entire a/c system off my 94 f150 with 5.0 and it all bolted on. Wiring in dash is the same, vacuum hoses are same. Only difference is vacuum hoses from inside to outside, and of course ac box.also my truck has serp belt which made it easy. The plug for the compressor was also already on the engine harness.

CDiesel

Reaction score
I haven’t even looked as far as the controls go. I have a heater obviously just no AC. Since all I do is turn a knob I’m assuming it’s electronic, but this is one system I’m not familiar with at all.

Reggie f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not electronic. It's a simple system. Controller has 2 plugs 1 vacuum connector and one cable for the temp door. My truck is also a 92 so it should be the same except possibly the belt system. The hoses I used fit a 5.0/5.8 but they fit with minor bending at the compresser.

CDiesel

Reaction score
I have already done exactly this. I took the entire a/c system off my 94 f150 with 5.0 and it all bolted on. Wiring in dash is the same, vacuum hoses are same. Only difference is vacuum hoses from inside to outside, and of course ac box.also my truck has serp belt which made it easy. The plug for the compressor was also already on the engine harness.

you bolted this on to a 7.3 idi truck?

Reggie f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pics
You must be registered for see images attach

CDiesel

Reaction score
So when you say air box, what is that? I’m unfamiliar with term and cannot find anything except air filter when searching

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
So when you say air box, what is that? I’m unfamiliar with term and cannot find anything except air filter when searching
It was "ac box" and I'm pretty sure that it means the black box that houses the blower motor and the evaporator. To me, "air box" is what's used on ATVs to house the air filter.

MrAmbitious

Reaction score
Wow, something I have actually looked into. I was/am planning the same swap and was told that the AC compressor bracket was specific to the idi engine,( I have an 88 7.3 N/A) because of belt alignment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online