7.3 idi adding factory turbo

racecar

Reaction score
New to the forum..I just bought a factory turbo from a 7.3 idi wreck. I am going to put it on my 4600 series international single axle with a non turbo 7.3 idi for some more power. Has any one done this before? Am I going to run into problems with fit? what changes should I do to the set up to get more power(changing up pipe and down pipe diameter). Does anyone have a factory turbo break down of parts?
Thanks
Sorry for all the questions.

royzell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These may help.(assuming you have the wastegated model ?)

Attachments

• 7.3L Ford Wastegated Turbo System Layout v1.0.pdf
    228.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 7.3-WG-Ford-Turbo-System-Install.pdf
    34.1 KB · Views: 12

racecar

Reaction score
thanks for the break down.
Is there much difference in performance in turbo systems from the Ats after market compared to the one ats made for ford?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
The difference is that the factory one comes with a crunched downpipe, and the exhaust housing is smaller. The aftermarket ATS turbo's come with a 3" downpipe that isnt all bent up, and a better exhaust housing.

racecar

Reaction score
Thanks. How much more hp do you get with ats exhaust housing? I am planing on making a 3" down pipe because i have lots of room i think.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this is going in an old uhaul type truck you are going to have fun. The manifolds and motor mounts are not compatible with fitting the turbo pipes, it will take some modding.
I the engine mounts in the middle like a ford you may be OK.

racecar

Reaction score
It will take some work i guess. The exhaust manifolds dump to the front of the motor and then go back, the drivers side crosses over to passenger side. I think if i make up a collector joining the two pipes and turning it up toward the turbo and then making a new up pipe, it should work i hope. I don't think it is ten mins of work