7.3 HARD to start?

bigdadydiesel

Reaction score
:dunnoI have a 94 f250 7.3 IDI turbo diesel with 340 000km on it ever since i have owned it it has always given me a hard time starting. I have changed glow plugs and controller finally got the GP light to work (glow plugs working) it seams to be cycling long enough but still won't start. My first diesel truck (89 7.3 IDI non-turbo) had the same problem and everyone else i know with 6.9 or 7.3 seem to have the same problem. I have tried everything i can think of nothing seem to work. If someone has any ideas :yell:help pls.:dunno

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of glow plugs? If its champions or autolites that's your problem right there. The first choice is beru/motorcraft glows, 2nd choice is anything not Champ or Autolite. Other problems are timing too far advanced or retarded, fuel return leaks. My 6.9 starts on the first couple of turns no matter how cold or hot it is, but prior to having that truck every IDI I had seen for sale was hard or VERY hard to start.

bigdadydiesel

Reaction score
Thanks for replying. I have auto lite's for glow plugs, I don't think there are any leaks in the return lines. when trying to start i get smoke from pipes but no start when cold. starts every time when warm. In the summer the only time i have a hard time is in the morning after that it starts every time, but in the winter the truck will give me a hard time after a hour even if it's on -1 C. How can i check timing to see if that is the problem?

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
I discovered on mine a few weeks ago that although my starter was spinning the engine, it was not spinning it near fast enough. Replaced the starter and it starts FAST now.

All that after GP's and new batteries.

bigdadydiesel

Reaction score
I discovered on mine a few weeks ago that although my starter was spinning the engine, it was not spinning it near fast enough. Replaced the starter and it starts FAST now.

All that after GP's and new batteries.

Everyone i have talked to with the cold weather we have it is common to replace a starter once a year.

Preems14

Reaction score
Try a new starter. When i had my idi it would crank really slow and never start then i payed 150 for a reman starter from an autowrecker and you could almost just look at the key and it would fire right up.