7.3 fuel filter heater wiring

TheBirdman

Reaction score
So, Ive been rooting around in my engine bay for a few days now, and I just thought of something. Where is the wire for my fuel filter heater? The answer is that its not there. The plug on top of the filter head still has the red cap over it. So what Im thinking is one of two things happened.

Idea one: its a 87 F250, and it had a remanufactured 7.3 put in in 2005. It may be possible that they used the old 6.9 wiring harness, and didnt have a place to plug it in, so they figured, eh, nobody will miss it, and never plugged it in.

Idea two: for one reason or another, someone deleted the wire to it, but never removed the heater itself.

Im kind of leaning towards option one. Either way, Im looking to hook it up again, even if its not extremely useful, as I have read. It certainly cant hurt, when 0 degrees in the winter months here is common enough to barely make you think "Better wear my hat today." Anyways, I was wondering, is the heater always on when the key is on, or does it run off a temp sensor? Also, does anyone know where I can find a plug for it, or is the junkyard my best shot?

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On in RUN and START positions.
Connector is a standard size - you can get crimp connectors.
But the molded one that is used here is a Ford product.
Probably only available in the loom if new.
Wrecking yard, if you want it factory.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These fuel heaters in the filter head are pretty much useless. If the you find the wire and hook it back up it can't hurt anything but won't really help much either. If the wire is no longer there and you have to run a new wire to it anyway, you would be better off wiring in "blanket heater" that wraps around the fuel filter. That will most certainly help! I have one that keeps the fuel filter warm and it will actually help to prevent filter gelling, unlike the factory heater. Her eis a link to the one I use in my truck:
https://www.wolverineheater.com/product-p/fh-50w-12v.htm

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Useless...be glad its not connected and more so that the connector doesnt itself leak.

Count yer lucky stars it doesnt leak.

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 6.9 may not have had the connector, but it does have its own connector for the heater on the line from the pump to the filter header. Look around for it and I would think you can just splice on a connector for the 7.3 heater and be good to go. Assuming the amperage draws are similar.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Idea one: its a 87 F250, and it had a remanufactured 7.3 put in in 2005. It may be possible that they used the old 6.9 wiring harness, and didnt have a place to plug it in, so they figured, eh, nobody will miss it, and never plugged it in
They where smart enough to know that the heater is useless unless it is turned on for about 5 minutes before a start.

If it would be hooked up and you would like to use it, remember the GP's will go thru a cycle and the heat from them would be useless if waiting on the filter heater to do any good. In extreme cold (anything below 0*F), your batteries are only about 50-60% efficient as far as CCA.

I know your location can get extremely winter cold, but then you had better know that it takes more than just heating the filter for a Diesel engine startup.

Personally I'd forget about it.

TheBirdman

Reaction score
I was kind of considering putting it on a toggle switch on the dash, so I could turn it on 5 mins before starting, and then I wouldn't need it at all in the summer so I could just not turn it on. From what it sounds like though, I might stick the cap back on and wire a blanket heater up like that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online