7.3 after a decade & trip report

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well my 7.3 is a decade old now as the 05's are beginning to make their appearances. I just finished a 2700 mile 14 day pull with my truck, it saw a little of everything from pulling the Nash TT @ 75mph on interstates up over some of the passes in Wyoming and Montana to fairly flat lowland travel in N.D. On the worst conditions which were 70+ mph bucking a headwind and climbing from Billings to Bozeman I took her down as low as 8 mpg, but generally speaking it was averaging about 12 pulling the camper. The trip to N.D. was unloaded and we made 17+ mpg.

Twice throughout the 14 day stint I had guys comment on the old girl, once was in Belgrade at a truckstop where a truckdriver noticed the 5" chrome pipe under the truck and had to come check'er out. He was a recent Duramax purchaser, was wondering how the old Stroke was performing and about some of the enhancements I had done to her. Second time was at the campgrounds in S.D. where a fella with a 2001 Super Duty came over and commented on how good the old Stroke looked and sounded. I dont know about you guys but I find it gratifying to get compliments on these old rigs. Its also alot of fun to blow past motorhomes and gassers going uphill with the camper in tow tooLOL . And its really gratifying to do it in a rig that didnt cost me $38K

Oh yeah, one last thing. I visited world famous Wall Drug in S.D. and found out that besides free ice water that they give out free nails in tires. That was the SINGLE bit of trouble I had with the old girl in 2700 miles, we stopped in Pierre and had the nail removed.

Mike

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Sounds like you had a rip-roarin' road trip with the ol' girl.;Sweet
I dont know about you guys but I find it gratifying to get compliments on these old rigs.
I sure love the attention mine gets even though it's two years younger than yours. I get most of the comments at service stations especially at Flying Js.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
:Thumbs Up

I'm right between you guys in my '96!
I've put 43k mi on in 8 mos and SO FAR all is well....of course this is after putting 600k mi on my previous '90 and '93 IDI's.
I get my share of kudos as well...what really gets some folks is when I say that I run 700 mi a week and work in the building trades.
Their first statment is "How do you keep it looking so good"
or....."aren't you scared of ruining that truck?"

The real kick is when the heads start turning when I pull into a fuel stop/store etc.... and that turbo whistle at 1500 rpm
resonates off the store front:cool

That's when they notice the 5" tip and4" straight pipe!

The real fun is watching the ricers break their necks to see where the sound is coming from and then see their jaw drop when they notice it's a truck!

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
A while back I started a thread about my "run in" :D with a Honda Civic. Because the passenger fender was replaced, I saved the old F-350 and Powerstroke badges and attached them on the back of my camper shell. The shell requires me to remove the tailgate because it has full length doors. The emblems remind the ricers who they are tailgating :eek:. :yell: Damn I love my truck! :D Long live the '94-'97 dinosaurs...;Sweet

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to move up to a Soup-R-Duty someday, but at this time its hard to justify when I can still git-r-done with the old shoe box on wheels. Especially when I havent even really started tapping the true potential of this one. Oh to have a set of Swamps and a bullet proof tranny.

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
And to think I've only got 60,000 (something) miles on our 97

What do you think of Smith RV, we are thinking about one of these years getting a Artic Fox TT

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ramprat
And to think I've only got 60,000 (something) miles on our 97

What do you think of Smith RV, we are thinking about one of these years getting a Artic Fox TT

We got a good deal on this TT from Smiths. The sales staff was good to work with. But as with anything, its the service after the sale that counts and Smiths is lacking in that arena. I had an issue with a window leak and Smiths was pretty much reluctant to do anything about it. Ive had much better luck getting help at a Nash/AF forum.

See it here

But overall we are pleased with the quality of the Northwood product, if you have spent any time looking at all you will see that it is heads and shoulders above most other brands that are in or above the same price range.

Mike

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Never been to Smiths but know a guy up you're way who highly recommends them. Otherwise the closest Artic Fox dealer is in Colorado & they suck. One of these days (ya right) we want to hit Smiths & see what they have & if we can get a deal from them.

Was looking at the Artic due to the super duper insulation (wife is from Canada & we go upnorth every now and again) & the simple fact it was bult solid and ment to be taken off paved roads.

How does the Nash compare to the Artic??

Nice web site, will spend some time checking it out:thanks: :thanks:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go ahead Rampy, get one!

The only difference between the Nash and the Fox is that the Fox has one step nicer window coverings. ie. better blinds/shades and curtains. But take a look at my pic link in my sig below, there is an album dedicated to the Nash in there and I think the interior of the unit is pretty plush.:Thumbs Up

The Nash and Artic and the Desert Fox for that matter are all well built. We looked at Stalkups and Sonny's and youre probably familiar with the brands they sell, well when we got done looking at the "other" brands :puke: and went back and got in the Nash and the salesman who was about 6'3'' and went a good 250+ opened the cupboard doors above the sink and hung on them like an ape:eek: without tearing them from the ceiling I knew we werent going to make it off the lot without signing papers.:cry:-cuss

Smiths was great to deal with, I felt that we got a smokin deal or else I would have walked off the lot, I tend to be a real tight *******.

Mike

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Came the thickness of a ***** hair of telling the boss to shove the job up his *** Friday but stopped just before saying it.

If it was not for needing to make payments on the motorcycle I'd have quit right then and there.

Been searching for a better job & once I get one then the search for a TT will resume.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ramprat
Came the thickness of a ***** hair of telling the boss to shove the job up his *** Friday but stopped just before saying it.

If it was not for needing to make payments on the motorcycle I'd have quit right then and there.

But then you decided that your wife was right and you mowed the lawn anywayLOL :D

:sorry:

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Originally posted by 95_stroker
But then you decided that your wife was right and you mowed the lawn anywayLOL :D

:sorry:

Actually I had RIT training at the VFD today & then took the motorcycle out for a spin while she mowed the yard :moon: :moon: ;p

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7