6.9L IDI Exhaust

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all, new to the forums, but i just got a 1985 F250 2wd 6.9L with 88,000 miles on it. Ive been doing a lot of reading but have not seen any talk about this. I'm looking to completely redo the exhaust on my truck at 3.5 in, with a flowmaster 50 series HD. But what I'm really looking at is the point where the 2 exhaust manifolds meet, it goes passenger side exhaust into driver side exhaust both at 2.5 into the driver side at 90 degrees and off at 2.5.

I'm looking to use a Y and put the 2 2.5in to a single 3.5 inch all the way back. anyone have any feedback on this idea? Does this remove to much back pressure or what.

Thank you

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.;Sweet

I've looked at that combo I had on a 460 gasser. Sould work purdy good for ya and prolly sound good to boot!;Really

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not like a gas engine where you'll burn a valve if you don't have enough backpressure. If you can get rid of that 2.5 inch junk and replace it with something better you will be doing it a favor. You still need some kind of muffler to keep the noise bearable unless you are going with a turbo. Another option would be a hypermax 3.5" exhaust which usually goes for around $225 and is fairly complete. I'm told it'll work on N/A applications.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks

Hey i saw the hypermax exhaust but kinda wiery about a 225 doolar exhaust system. Also i was planing on going a little custom and having mine exit infront of the rear tire maybe with a 3.5inch to 4in tip. not sure yet. But the main reason i wanted to do this is that stupid meeting place of the 2 exhaust manifolds. If you know someone who changed out that meeting place id like to hear about it and what they did.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do not exit in front of the rear tire, unless you really like cleaning your wheels.
I had polished the wheels about 4 days prior to this pic:
You must be registered for see images

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same thing with my truck, the exhaust dumps right at the rear of the cab and covers EVERYTHING underneath and on the sides with soot bad. I just ordered straight pipe to move the outlets 7' back which puts it right in front of the rear axle and under the bed.

I'd stay away from gasser "performance" mufflers, some can clog with soot. Stick with Walker BTM, they are made for diesel trucks.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dynomax makes an exhaust for other N/As...full 4" with new y pipe

Does Anyone have any sound clips, id love to hear that dynomax. Ive heard how the hypermax one sounds, and its pretty good. So im definitely not going with the flowmaster, thx guys.