6.9 weight??

Black dawg

Reaction score
Has anybody ever weighed one? Wanting to do a swap, but need to know actual weight before I decide

Black dawg

Reaction score
engine with accesories i guess.

On the web I am seeing anywhere from 860-1290.cookoo

wanting to replace a 454 with one, but do alot of snow wheeling, and really dont want to give up much of what it will do now

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love IDI's, but a stock 6.9 won't hold a candle to a 454. And normally a gas engine will start easier for you snow wheelin.

Just my opinion. And i dislike GM greatly.

I also agree with the 11-1200. Dunno about a BBC but a 460 dressed is around 800lbs

M.

Black dawg

Reaction score
For fuel savings, why not convert it to cng?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

never researched cng, but the few cars around here that are cng, it seems to be more trouble than it is worth.

not worried about power, a 5psi boosted IDI will do everything that I need. A big part of wanting to go diesel is WMO.
A 6.2-6.5 would be easy initially, but I am looking for near bulletproof reliability.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eh. 6.2/6.5s aren't flimsy. I work on hmmvs for a living and I've seen them take a pounding all day and the next.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I have had 4 6.2s and 2 6.5s, They just dont seem to hold up in the big picture. This 454 replaced a 6.5.

marvgarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only reason a 6.2/6.5 doesn't hold up is pure maint. They are like a women if you don't care or love them they will leave you hanging.

Black dawg

Reaction score
The only reason a 6.2/6.5 doesn't hold up is pure maint. They are like a women if you don't care or love them they will leave you hanging.

I really wish that were true. If I wanted to put one in, I would put the low mile one that I have saved in. I have been saving it to resell. THey are like gold around here, lots of 6.5 trucks with bad engines.

Lots of 6.9-7.3s around here with bad trucks.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The 6.2/6.5's are weaker on the bottom end. The bearings on the crank are also a lot thinner than on a 6.9/7.3. I don't know their history, but I've seen quite a few Chevy's with spun bearings. Not very many on the Fords. Besides, a diesel with a timing chain or a hex shaft to drive the oil pump doesn't seem to make sense to me. 6.2/6.5's have both. They are good for getting better fuel milage. I too have worked on HMMV'S and from what I saw, it was the truck that took the most abuse, not the engines. My experience was from being a civilian contractor in Iraq.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I love IDI's, but a stock 6.9 won't hold a candle to a 454. And normally a gas engine will start easier for you snow wheelin.

Just my opinion. And i dislike GM greatly.

I also agree with the 11-1200. Dunno about a BBC but a 460 dressed is around 800lbs

M.

BBC weight is about 600 lbs. About half of the IDI.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Ford Data Books list 860 lbs for a dry 6.9L NA and 900 lbs. for the 7.3L turbo. I weighed my 6.9L as I was installing it (have a line dyno) and it was a scratch under 900 with oil in in and some of the turbo stuff installed.

6.2/6.5??? IMO (and I had one for about 8 years) is a good light duty diesel and only a fair HD diesel. Later is better, as they worked out many of the bugs. I think it's a great half-ton diesel.. very economical. Not so hot in HD applications.

Black dawg

Reaction score
My Ford Data Books list 860 lbs for a dry 6.9L NA and 900 lbs. for the 7.3L turbo. I weighed my 6.9L as I was installing it (have a line dyno) and it was a scratch under 900 with oil in in and some of the turbo stuff installed.

6.2/6.5??? IMO (and I had one for about 8 years) is a good light duty diesel and only a fair HD diesel. Later is better, as they worked out many of the bugs. I think it's a great half-ton diesel.. very economical. Not so hot in HD applications.

do you remember which accesories were on the engine at this weight?