6.9 engine harness meltdown 85 E350 really bad situation

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The round solenoid on your controller can be removed and mounted elsewhere. It'll make a good start to a manual system. You may even just be able to use the controller, take off the white wire, run a momentary switch to ground and have a functioning manual glow plug controller. The blue wire needs to get moved too if you want the light. There's a glow plug thread in the first page with a link to how to modify it.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The round solenoid on your controller can be removed and mounted elsewhere. It'll make a good start to a manual system. You may even just be able to use the controller, take off the white wire, run a momentary switch to ground and have a functioning manual glow plug controller. The blue wire needs to get moved too if you want the light. There's a glow plug thread in the first page with a link to how to modify it.
This is a 1985 so I'm assuming that it has the 6.9 style glow plugs. If it does, you don't even need to have a controller in order to use a manual glow plug control. I don't have one in my 1985 F250.

899ccs

Reaction score
Okay I am officially needing Van expertise! I got the glow plug harness half way out on passenger side. I think now it was the fuel line heater wiring that fried taking out the Fuel cutoff wiring. I have a few questions... Glow Plug relay? This looks just like the starter relay.?
Located on core support above the drivers side headlight correct? Starter relay is same location only passenger side Correct? It is too cold out side to do this job right. I need to focus on just repairing the harness.
You must be registered for see images attach

899ccs

Reaction score
sorry bout the big pics but you see that 40 amp fuse? that should of been a 10 amp. then all of this would not have happened. more pics in bit

899ccs

Reaction score
more pics. Is that my voltage regulator? says circuit protected on it. has nothing to do with glow plugs but where is the after glow relay and the lamp relay...must be under the dash somewhere, which reminds me that this van had aftermarket cruise control and delay wipers installed back in the 80s. Under the dash was the worst rats nest wiring I have ever seen. It was astonishing. Can I do a quick resistance check on my glow plugs while they're still in the engine? Is there any test I can do to them without removing them? So damn cold out there and I am out of propane for my heater.. guess I better go get the bottle filled up. Some one said after I repair this I could jump the controller, gonna go find that thread. the pic vandandy is the wire that ran into the connector that went to the fuel cutoff. It burnt back all the way to that 40 amp fuse which is now a 10 amp. No fuse links fried I think.. Pain in the ass. Vangressive image is the wire to the fuel line heater and that is what shorted to ground DOH!

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Yes, the thing in the last pic is the voltage regulator.

retiredinhomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with the caps disconnected on glow plugs measure from tip to ground on ohms. Change the ones that are open.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Glow Plug relay? This looks just like the starter relay.?
Located on core support above the drivers side headlight correct?
Yes. I'm pretty sure that is where Cubey said that his is at when he stopped by my place last fall.

899ccs

Reaction score
i just realized that I hadn't ever photo graphed the old 1 ton before.. and you know what? With that black slash graphic thing I painted on the sides a few years ago...it doesn't look so ****-y know? although if I were hitchhiking and saw this thing coming I think I would reel the old thumb in... just act casual or tie my shoe or something till it went by. Then knowing my luck the next rig to come along would be that old 41 chevy COE with cow catcher and the license plate "BEATINGU"

thank you Cubey for the dim head light info.. I have to fix that because man they are so freaking dim... even on bright.
The harness repairs are slowly progressing due to the very cold temps and everything is just brittle and stiff. I was thinking of flattening the tires to see if I could squeeze into the garage with the nose then tarp off the opening or something...gonna get creative get some heat in there.. also I read some more on the controller circuit and the afterglow feature and latching and it is .. uh.. a miracle that these are still rolling around the highways on cold winter days. I love the dirty looks I get when I am pulling my 19 foot speed boat up a grade..... at 33 mph. Holding up those Cummings and Duramax turbo's.. I get the look even though I succeed when I have three or so stacked up behind me.. but I love this old 1 ton. Good memories in it you know? Boating and camping in it... I got it for free. I put in a starter motor, resealed the oil cooler, repaired the rear brake auto adjusters cables and serviced the diff. Fixed all the lights and the heater fan and thats it. It has duel tanks, extended cargo, swivel captains seats, gnarly shift kit in the trans, class 3 tow hitch, duel batteries... hell what more could you ask for? for free.. right? I'm good.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Once you modernize the glow plug system, you'll be good for a long time to come yet.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Manual. Glow. Plugs.

I imagine your controller would be easy to get to with the dog house pulled. It's still a 6.9 controller everyone seems to dislike. It's a round can with a plug on the top of it in the drivers head in an F series.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Manual. Glow. Plugs.

I imagine your controller would be easy to get to with the dog house pulled. It's still a 6.9 controller everyone seems to dislike. It's a round can with a plug on the top of it in the drivers head in an F series.

This.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online