6.9 clutch on 7.3 flywheel

camo85

smoke em out
Reaction score
I'm having problems finding a zf-5 for my PSD truck that I can afford. I know this an IDI forom, but I also know some of you guys have put the PSD trans in you trucks. I would like to do the same to my '85 6.9IDI, but like I said I don't have $1500- $2500 to spend right now.

So do you guys know if I can put a 12 inch upgrade clutch for an IDI [4x4], on my single mass solid flywheel ['96 7.3PSD 4x4]???? Short of ordering one at the parts store just to take measurements, and ticking them off if I don't but it and they have to send it back.

My brother-in-law has a correct bell and trans, but the input shafts are smaller on the old 4 speeds. So I couldn't use the brand new clutch I put in just before 5th gear blew apart on me!

Any help would be apriciated!!!

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really sure what it is you want to do, are you talking about using a T19 clutch on your PSD... it won't work with a ZF 5 trans, as you said the output shafts are different, but if we're talking 6.9/7.3 ZF SMF disks I would say you can do it.

camo85

smoke em out
Reaction score
I thought about putting the T-19 trans in my PSD, for temporary use. So I don't want to get rid of my SMF that is in my PSD. I know I need a new clutch to do this. The question was if I need the 6.9 flywheel, or will a 6.9 clutch bolt onto my PSD solid wheel if I get the 12 inch.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having problems finding a zf-5 for my PSD truck that I can afford. I know this an IDI forom, but I also know some of you guys have put the PSD trans in you trucks. I would like to do the same to my '85 6.9IDI, but like I said I don't have $1500- $2500 to spend right now.

So do you guys know if I can put a 12 inch upgrade clutch for an IDI [4x4], on my single mass solid flywheel ['96 7.3PSD 4x4]???? Short of ordering one at the parts store just to take measurements, and ticking them off if I don't but it and they have to send it back.

My brother-in-law has a correct bell and trans, but the input shafts are smaller on the old 4 speeds. So I couldn't use the brand new clutch I put in just before 5th gear blew apart on me!

Any help would be apriciated!!!

Too bad the 1) we're on opposite coasts and 2) you need a 4WD tranny.

I just happen to have a 2WD ZF-5 I'd like to sell and I'm only asking 40%-15% of the prices you mention above.... (you do the math ;) )

7.3shrk

Can you get the clutch disc for the T-19 and still use the zf pressure plate and flywheel?

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the benefit of those who are still curious about this and didn't see the thread in the PowerStroke forum.

The answer is yes. It should fit with no problem. My experience is that the bolt pattern for the SMF and DMF (what your 96 had originally) is the same. The only caveat to that is the the SMF on the 96 7.3 has to be the same thickness as the one on the 86 6.9.

The DMF that came originally on the 96 7.3 is about 5/8" thicker than the SMF from the 86 6.9. To compensate for the difference in thickness, the DMF pressure plate is made 5/8" shallower than the SMF pressure plate.

SO, if the SMF on your 7.3 is designed to mimic the thickness of the DMF, it won't work, the pressure plate for the 86 6.9 will be too thick, but if your SMF is designed to mimic the thickness of the thinner SMF then it should work just fine.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
well i have a 6.9 flywheel and clutch disk you can borrow two if you need. no pressure plate though but i could go in with you since i wont need it now anyway. just throw it in my jeep swap later when i can get to it.

camo85

smoke em out
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys. And Jeeper, thanks for the help, if I didn't already say thanks over there in the other forum!

Jred, we'll have to discuss that when you come up to my house tomorrow! That just might work out well.

7.3shrk, I'm thinking that may be the ticket for the temporary swap! This is planned to be just until I can come up with extra cash for a remaned zf. But if the r's don't run too high on the freeway it may be permanent. I like the t-19 in the 85 better for the country roads! Plus they are a more durable trans too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online