6.9 C6 tranny behind a 460. HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!

thumper_65590

Reaction score
Hello all. I am new to the forum but I hope there are some here that can provide me with some direction. I have an 84 f350 crewcab with a 460 and a C6. Long story short the tranny finally gave up the ghost. I found a really good C6 out of an 86 f350 with a 6.9. Looked at Hollander interchange and it said it was a direct swap. WRONG!!!!!!!! The transmission I can make work easy enough, but the other problem is there is no where to mount the starter on the 6.9 tranny. There is enough meat to drill the mounting hole on the top, but not the bottom from what I can see. Any ideas on how to make this work? I hope so, this is mydaily driver, and from what I have seen the diesel tranny is a little beefier than the gas C6. Thanks for the help.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The IDI diesels used a bellhousing adapter plate that the starter mounted to, unlike the gasser which mounts to the bellhousing.

Why not swap the diesel guts into your gasser gasser case?

thumper_65590

Reaction score
I would, but a gave the gasser tranny as a core, so i no longer have it available. I may have to get a good C6 gasser core and do that. Any other ideas?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there are no other ideas, the bolt pattern to the engine is different, Only the top 2 holes are the same. Never give up the core till the swap is done. The only internal difference besides the valve body, which will work anyway, is the direct clutch has more plates.

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
A C6 rebuild is $300... should have rebuilt the one you had. They do not interchange.
I would find another 460 case and get it rebuilt.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well hell.
If a diesel trans won't work on a gasser,
Then I can deduct that a gasser tranny won't work on a 7.3??
Hmmm.
Are IDI AND PSD. Interchangeable?

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gasser/diesel E4OD cases are different. Later 7.3 PSDs went to the 4R100 (E4OD 2.0 basically) and use a different 6 bolt flexplate/converter. There is some overlap between diesels but NOT gassers, ever.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have to remember who you are dealing with here; FORD. Whoever designed their bellhousing patterns had some sort of in-fighting problem between different engineering departments or they were just mentally off a little bit. I have never seen one manufacturer have so many different patterns, when it really didn't matter or make any difference. A good example is the idi;

You have made a deal with international to buy their engines and put them into your Ford truck. But their engine pattern is different, and they will not make a new casting for you, so you need to make an adapter for it to fit. Well, we are wide open here, what do we make the adapter match? A 460 pattern that we already use and have tranny and bellhousing castings already on the manufacturing floor? No way, that's too easy. Lets make an adapter for a totally odd-ball pattern that we just made up and have to make all new tranny and bellhousing castings. And that's what they did.

thumper_65590

Reaction score
lol, I know thats right. I am looking around for a good BB C6 core that I can transfer the guts out of this tranny into. So far that hasn't been going to well for me either. I would love to swap it over to a manual 5 or even 6 speed, or if I could find a donor truck in my price range, swapping a 7.3 IDI in it, but right now I just gotta get it going. I can make the tranny work if I could use the adapter plate, but the only way to do that it looks like is to use a crank adapter to get my proper spacing. I have been looking at those, and they are not too expensive. that way I could use the adapter plate and have the starter mounting bracket, and it might even be a little stronger that the starter to bellhousing on the gassers. What does everyone think about that?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think youre going to have problems with the crank center line/ input shaft center line as well.
where are you located? i have what you need

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol, I know thats right. I am looking around for a good BB C6 core that I can transfer the guts out of this tranny into. So far that hasn't been going to well for me either. I would love to swap it over to a manual 5 or even 6 speed, or if I could find a donor truck in my price range, swapping a 7.3 IDI in it, but right now I just gotta get it going. I can make the tranny work if I could use the adapter plate, but the only way to do that it looks like is to use a crank adapter to get my proper spacing. I have been looking at those, and they are not too expensive. that way I could use the adapter plate and have the starter mounting bracket, and it might even be a little stronger that the starter to bellhousing on the gassers. What does everyone think about that?

There are lots of 460 c6 trans out there, adapting something else is just throwing money away.
Why cant you return it and get your core back.
If they wont do it make sure to put them in the hall of shame so no one else gets screwed.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Not sure on the swap conundrum but I'd just find a C6 from a 460 if I wnated chepa and easy. C6 should be $50-$100 on CL, dime a dozen just gotta have one come up when you need it. Not sure where you're at but I have a ZF5 for a 460 that works fine but broken trans mount ears. I rode it around for a week or two with some straps around it to the crossmember. New tailhousing is about $150 and you gotta pull all the guts to swap over as most is assembled to the tail. If you're within a reasonable drive and want a ZF5 I'd let it go real cheap as it's probably gonna end up going to scrap eventually. Can't help you with a C6 though.

hturner12

Reaction score
I would definitely try and get my money and old tranny back and just rebuild it. As far as going to a manual. Here is a short list of what you need: clutch/ brake pedal; floor pan out of a manual truck you will have to cut the pan out on your truck.( I did a 76); pressure plate ; clutch ;linkage ; throw out bearing ; master cylinder if hydraulic; possible driveshaft (check length) and possible rear end ratio change. Lot of work and some dollars

Hugh

thumper_65590

Reaction score
I got the tranny from the pick n pull, but I knew the truck that it came out of. As far as tranny, its no longer there, I checked. I can take this one back and get a different one or my money back, but its about an 1 1/2 hour drive for me. grrrrrrrrr. I would much rather go manual, but right now I just gotta get it running. I am gonna try to get a good core from a different salvage yard a little closer to me and transfer the guts from this one to the other one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online