6.9 175,000 miles at 4000 feet.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I came up to my parents to clear my mind from workin on my trucks. Thought I was gonna give my brain a break from wrenchin.
WRONG!
My parents neighbor has a 87 F350 6.9 4 speed that wouldn't start.
We changed the starter and batteries to get her to life.
She blows out white smoke at idle and gets worse with increasing RPMS.
From what I gather from a search, it's fuel injection issues.
How can I determine if its the IP or the injectors them selfs?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
White smoke can mean coolant is getting into the cylinders and burning off. It can mean a bad injector or retarded timing too. Has the truck sat for very long. How old is the fuel. Are you loosing coolant. Does it idle poorly. I know these are many questions but answering some if not all will help me help you or others can help too with more information. I'm not thinking its a shot injection pump.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When he bought the truck it was pumping out white smoke the coolant is at proper levels and green. She idles really good but when you increase RPMs it runs poorly. I believe the fuel is stale but he's ran 8 tanks through it.
We bypassed water fuel separator due to Air getting in the fuel system

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the elevation will make it smoke black a little more. i had mine @9000 ft yesterday. i could easily pizz of the democrats and greenies with just my big toe on the throttle :).

i live @3000 ft so 4000 isnt a big enough deal.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pump is no good. if coolant levels in unchanged and the white smoke burns your eyes, the pump is injecting too early on some cylinders. if the smoke gets worse and the motor runs rougher as the rpms goes up, it's definitely the pump. if it clears out, at higher rpms, you have bad injectors. bottom line, replace the pump AND the injectors at the same time.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im sending him my old 6.9 pump, injectors and 12 point 8 mm socket..