6-71 blower/supercharger on a 6.9?

bentwings

Reaction score
I didn't realize these motors wouldn't take the big boost numbers that a Cummins will. So you are right, it would not have to be over driven as much.
FWIW our alcohol Funny Car back inthe late 70's ran an 8-71 at 60% od and 8500 rpm on the motor. needles to say the blower was really spinning. I'm not sure what the boost was as we didn't run a gage back then but today they say that they will pump over 30 psi overdriven that much on a smaller motor. (485 cu in)

The fabricated manifold is a good idea and not too difficult. It would eat up a lot of space under the hood.

The blower will take a rediculous amount of power to drive. Remember the motor must make this power plus the output that the dyno see. So the motor guts are really taxed.

All in all for a diesel it is better to use proven technology in the turbo and injector. Certainly a lot cheaper.

For a drag race hemi it's just the opposite. Proven tech is the blower and suitable mech FI

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Freight_Train said:
actually,he didn't scatter it.It pushed the main caps off like a old Flat head Ford.He found the weak link in a 700Plus horse power engine.I Think the Rods and pistons survived too.
OH!! Okay, I thought the failure was more violent than that...

bentwings, just wondering, has anyone tried a turbocharged Hemi? If not, why not? If so, what were the results as compared to using a blower? I ask because, someday in the distant future when I have ample $$, I want to try and build up a Hemi and put it into a sleeper...

bentwings

Reaction score
Once you have a 426 style hemi (not the new one) it's just too easy to mount a blower. $3500 and there is not a street tire made that you can set on fire. If you have the alum after market motor another 6000 will get a big enough blower, cam and injector that will take you way over 1500 hp on the ground. No longer streetable but one fast car regardless what you put it in. you would probably never be able to hurt it.
The only thing you need for this is a credit card and a phone with extra battery. :D LOL .

I'm sure there are a few turbos around but they are just too much work to get reliable results with in this case.

Put something like this in the 1 ton with dually fenders and 16 inch slicks and you'd be in the 9's.....probably with the old CTD laying on it's side in the bed :rotflmao :rotflmao As much as I like the DCTD when it comes to making no holds barred hp there is nothing like a hemi..

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see what you mean...but, how do you hide a Roots blower?

The idea (again, this would require a truckload of $$ so it's probably a pipe dream) is to take a '59 Cadillac wagon (hearse or ambulance; doesn't matter; I love the lines of a '59 wagon with the tall fins, but I don't want a GM engine in it), do a frame-up restoration, and make it look as stock as possible...and then put the 426 Hemi in :D (actually, another idea I had was to make a 12 valve into a slant-6 :Sly but I know that ain't gonna happen!!) and make her into a street-legal sleeper drag car. The blower sounds great, but I haven't yet heard of a Roots blower install that'll fit under an unmodified hood.

Hmm...

(boy, THIS thread went off-topic :sorry: )

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since noone has brought this up yet, I will.
Just for the record, I don't believe that this is a practical concept from just the standpoint of servicibility.
Here's an item to consider. The injection pump and injectors are in the way to mount the blower in a usable profile unless you want to includer removing the blower when having to service the pump or injectors. Perhaps on a dragster or puller where high dollar teams are paid to deal with this, a street driven blower is plain not practical in real life service terms. Unless you are intending to move the injection pump and lines to a new location, this is not a financially practical concept. Funny part of all this "what if" questions, the questions are coming from a majority of people who can't even afford to fix their truck when some major maintence item goes south. So where are you going to come up with the $$$$ for a pie-in-the-sky dream?
Bottom line. The IDI is at its near maximum in HP output to be considered reliable. Reinventing the wheel for higher HP is going to cost some major $$$$. If your intention is for reliable HP, the IDI is the motor of choice. If you want nutty out of this world benchrace champion HP, look at the PSD or Cummins. There's a reason why you don't see IDI en masse at the pulls.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's be brutally honest here guys......IDI owners generally aren't made of money. Although there are a handfull who are looking for ultimate HP, the majority of IDI guys work on their own trucks or call on buddies to help git-r-dun....hell, those of us with a turbo and IC or propane add-on feel that we're walking in tall cotton...and when something major lets go most of us are wondering when the spousal unit is going to draw the line on the money pit. I've been lucky over the years that I was able to cover my IDI addiction under the guise of running a business, but I know many others are just praying that nothing major breaks. I've watched the benchracers over at the other site go back and forth over "which blower" is best but it almost always the most vocal of debaters are the first to sell the truck when something cuts loose. I will be the first to admit that I have become short fused over the matter here as a result.
ok...rant off....

kblackav8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about a couple smaller turbo's from cars. A pair or T04's or something along those lines. A twin turbo diesel. If you can fab a manifold, you can do the plumbing to make 2 turbo's work. 2 smaller ones will boost up quicker and have about the same mass flow if not a tad more when done. Lowering the compression is a good idea. It will need more fuel and maybe some timing adjustment to stay together. I am not that smart but I read it on how to upgrade a cummins 855 and it seems to make sense.
Kevin