6.6L Duramax Reviews and Ratings Help!

TwoBar

Reaction score
Hey all,
Anyone have good reviews for the Duramax Diesels? Are they reliable with little problems? We are looking at buying a 2004 Chevy c4500 with the 6.6L Duramax. The truck has 87k, would this be a wise buy? I am new to the Duramax and hoping these engines provide as little headache as possible.
Any Information would help, Thanks!!

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i can't help you with a site that is specific for the c4500 or 5500 but I can share with you some personal insight.
firstly, the motors are relatively problem free, but when there is a problem, the hourly for the labor is going to be double. there is nothing mechanic friendly about the truck. GM in their infinite wisdom dropped a van body on a truck chassis. Everything is buried on this truck and you have to deal with the access hatches just like a van has and the reachover height like a big truck.
secondly, being a van body, it's not very driver friendly either. I'll take one out on a diagnostic test drive but it will be the last vehicle I will climb into willingly. Drive one for a day and you will see what I am talking about there.
Otherwise, if it is for a company truck that you are going to drive for a while and trade in at the 200k mark, it's fine for that purpose as long as you're not the driver of the truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online