6.0 firetruck down, need guidence

Whit

Reaction score
Guys, a buddy of mine called he has a 1 ton mini pumper down, they went on a grass fire and the truck has no power, he says the boost gauge wont read but a couple psi so heres my question.

Is the wastegate on the 6.0 a electronic solinoid controlled deal or is it internal??

I told him to do a psi check to ensure the boots were all good

I also guided him toward the wastegate stuck in the open position, just not sure how the WG is on a 6.0

any help here would be appreciated

Cheers, Kevin

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
The VFD's 03 F450 brush truck 6.0 has had the same kind of problems and has been to the dealer & reflashed several times.

Not sure if it solved the problem as it runs out of a different station.

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
IIRC, wasn't there a problem with the vanes sticking in the exhaust side of the turbo? That could be the problem since they control the boost.

Whit

Reaction score
dieseldummy said:
IIRC, wasn't there a problem with the vanes sticking in the exhaust side of the turbo? That could be the problem since they control the boost.

I think I heard of that b4.........................I will mention it to him, lots of good info here men, the truck is 26 miles away from me right now.

Cheers, Kevin

Whit

Reaction score
Got word from my buddy the other day that the intercooler bulkhead was blown......plastic crap, dealer has the rig and is replacing it with another plastic one cookoo

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
That has an evrt turbo varable exhaust vanes. If they stick it will cause tremdous boost and will blow the innercooler apart. Check the turbo after that new innercooler goes in I bet it is stuck.

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
What and where are the evrt turbo varable exhaust vanes :confused:

We have our 6.0 brush truck up and running and I've got zero (0) ideas what all the crap is on the 6.0 :D :D and what needs to be checked & watched.

However, I have been told lots of semi "wacko" stuff from the guy who deals with the Ford dealer and if the Ford dealer says it it's set in stone :mad: :mad:

Guess I'm a old dinasour with the 97 7.3l PSD & loving it LOL LOL

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 6.0s are seeing problems with EGR, turbos, and injectors...and the occasioanl oil leak, or icp sensor failure, causeing an oil leak, and a low ICP reading...

the plastic CAC(fords term for the intercooler pipe) tubes tend to break under heavy load conditions, because your trucks seeing more boost from having a heavyer load to tug behind it...so a regular SRW extended cab f250 wont blow as many tubes as say a 15,000lb weighing mini dump. i actually did a piece F450 mini dump, with the same problem about a month or so ago. the intercooler pipe blew at the intercooler. im not sure why it did this but i think ford changed the plastic tube slightly. truck has not been back.

the vary sized vanes dont control the boost, just how much boost comes on at what RPMs. it in effect can make the turbo larger or smaller in surface area, allowing most boost down low when the vanes are tight (a smaller turbo) or more peak boost up high whent he vanes are spread open (making a bigger turbo). hope this helps. the vgt will adjust at different RPM's to see the best boost it possibly can to a limited point.

hope this helps a bit? :confused:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online