50 ford coe what engine

commonsthor

Reaction score
;Sweet traded 76 f250 for 50 ford cab over engine project ...i wanted to do a poll on what diesel engine to put in it , but cant figure how to set it up im new to computers, i can get a small ford van bus to use for frame/susp.will be mid engine w/radiator in front want to build it for towing 5er . lets here your ideas for engine trans combo gearvendor ect . any diesel :thumbsup:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
commonsthor said:
;Sweet traded 76 f250 for 50 ford cab over engine project ...i wanted to do a poll on what diesel engine to put in it , but cant figure how to set it up im new to computers, i can get a small ford van bus to use for frame/susp.will be mid engine w/radiator in front want to build it for towing 5er . lets here your ideas for engine trans combo gearvendor ect . any diesel :thumbsup:

You'd do well for finding a restored one first and measure up how much room you have to cram an engine in there. Even the E-series vanners will tell you its a tight fit. There's a concrete company near my shop in Santa Clara that shows their restored COE and I've seen a flathead V-8 under the floor. I've seen the results of a Chev COE cab get dropped onto chev PU chassis, so with some work its do-able.

commonsthor

Reaction score
:thumbsup: ;Really this will be a mid engine set up on 24ft econoline bus chasis , i hope to have it done by next spring ,it will have a hand built alum enclosure that slides off to get to engine. :draw

how do i set up poll for engine trans combo???

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
commonsthor said:
:thumbsup: ;Really this will be a mid engine set up on 24ft econoline bus chasis , i hope to have it done by next spring ,it will have a hand built alum enclosure that slides off to get to engine. :draw

how do i set up poll for engine trans combo???
for what you are planning on doing, there isn't much of a choice....you're gonna need a V-8 due to size issues. So the choice is either chev 6.2/6.5 or ford 6.9/7.3. The answer to that one doesn't take much work :D you might want to check the chassis choice first before you think about engines. A E-series frame is fairly wide and you may be forced to look at a PU frame. Or if you can find a F450 motor home that has went through a light fire, those frames are straight rail on a 34" center.....just food for thought!

commonsthor

Reaction score
went to look at truck today its a c**Vy :mad: :draw but the body is solid with good paint .it was a farm truck w/stake bed . i am still going to put a diesel in her. i am going to get it in 3-4 weeks ..