5.4 tritan skipping

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
alright i havent had much experiance with these tritan motors.honestly i think they suck!!so far ive had 3 with a bad skip.one ended up being coil packs.the second one i never figured out,got sold before finishing it.and now i have a 3rd one.its had plugs and coils replaced.he had one of the quick lubes do an injector flush on it.im kinda leaning towards a bad injector/s.

anything else i should be lookin at?common problems?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nope i havent personally seen one that has.:dunno

anyways tried the unpluggin coils trick like i did with the last one and just like the last one i cant find the dead one.skips like hell at idle but every time i unplug a coil it drops the cylinder like nothings wrong with it.bring the idle up a bit and its smooth.:dunno:confused:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Dad has one that spit a plug. Passenger side, rear I believe. 97, the early were the worst for doing it.

That is strange, is there a FICM on those, like a diesel, could it be a voltage problem? I am not too familiar with the newer gassers.....

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dont know.i havent really messed with them till now.them things are a serious PITA to work on!

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those things eat coil packs like candy. Too bad, I think the modular motors are pretty ok for a gasser powerplant.

Good luck

tknomaj

Reaction score
get a good scanner and look at engine misfire counters. power break engine so miss will show all cyls. replace coils and check spark plugs for ground electrode missing have found 4 cars where the ground fell off of plug end in last couple of weeks for no ryhme or reason . all different manfactures . I am not saying a injector could not go bad bu coils are candy to those engines and make sure you fully tighten spark plugs so they dont come loose and shoot out.

tknomaj

Reaction score
These engines can miss all day long sometimes and not set a code. That is wh6y I said a good scanner and look in the data at the engine misfire counters. power break engine and you will see which cys have bad coils. relying on autozone scanners for misfires on these tritons will get you no where 90% of the time.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These engines can miss all day long sometimes and not set a code. That is wh6y I said a good scanner and look in the data at the engine misfire counters. power break engine and you will see which cys have bad coils. relying on autozone scanners for misfires on these tritons will get you no where 90% of the time.

110% correct. also remember that truck does have a fuel filter. random misfires are usually fuel related. hard fault misfires are usually coil pack/spark plug problem.

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife had a 97 with the 4.6 and it had a bad misfire under a load. Replaced plugs, wires, packs, ran dielectric grease on all wires, took the injectors out and cleaned them, replaced the fuel filter twice. I hated that truck with a huge burning passion. Made great power before the misfire, but I'd take a small block pattern any day.

I'd ask the OP, how many miles do you have on it?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no idea.its not mine and i dont have it here to look at.i swapped the coil i found that was skipping with another cylinder.now it has a slight skip only when you rev it up.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Check the voltage on the TPS. Even if the voltage is good, if it skips around on readings when you manually open the throttle KOEO, it could still be bad...

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
We've had 4 that the heads have had to be replaced on. On everyone of em it had spit a spark plug out at one time and had been heela coiled? (spelling) and the spark plug was down to far in the head. Hope that's not the problem with yours but just a possibility.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726