5.3 Info Please

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
My brother-in-law has an '07 classic 1500 ECSB with the 5.3. It's one of those that the dealership put the lift and big tires on to add bling and sold it that way new. He likes the truck and it serves well for what he uses it for. Problem is when the dealership modded it, they just added the bling and didn't address the whole package. It can't get out of it's own way around town and on the highway sucks fuel like it's hooked to a refinery.

For the last 5 years I've done nothing but diesels so I know nothing about the new gassers and can't seem to find the answers I'm looking for. So point me in the right direction. Everything I read says pull the 5.3 and put in a 6.0. That's not what I'm looking for and it's not really an option I care to undertake. I need a forum that does a good job addressing the issues of the 5.3. I know it needs re-geared for the bigger tires. And I know the computer hasn't been updated for the bigger tires. I know there's some kind of torque management issue programmed into the TCM that needs addressed. I'm not looking for all out HP. Just good reliable performance upgrades that will help drivability and mileage.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Tom

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
The LSX style engines, no matter the size, are really good. And as a matter of opinion, the 5.3 is a better compromise in the mpg/power equation than the 6.0.
For tuning, go to www.efilive.com since they are one of the best sources for tuning and diagnostic products for the GM gassers and Duramaxes. And as far as bolt ons, it depends.
Do the basics like a cold air package, headers and full exhaust with the regear and calibration changes. It'll really wake the truck up.
But the easiest, most effective way to make that 5.3 really run is to put a supercharger or turbo system on, with the Magnacharger being first, Procharger second, and the STS remote mount turbo system third. Each will improve the power and mileage, but in a truck where the power has to hit from rock bottom, the Magnacharger does it best.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
The screw compressors and the modern roots blowers perform just about the same, except the Whipple is a little more money, and have better discharge temps. Either way, you can't lose. On pump gas, they've gotten 500 plus hp and the torque without going into the motor.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
So my next question is how much can we go before addressing the tranny? And at that point, what are the improvements needed. It won't be a track star. He uses it for a lot of highway miles and jeep trail type exploring. No high speed and no rock crawling, but some low speed trails and fire road type stuff. I've read that the tranny (4L60 ?)has a torque management program in the TCM that needs to mostly disabled and that will affect drivability a lot in a positive way.

Tom

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
You should address the trans now just to be on the safe side. The usual stuff, shift kit, big cooler, reprogramming, synthetics. Maybe add an extra filter like a FS2500. Depends on how hard you are going to drive the thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online