4x4 workings

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Since I have never owned a 4x4 (shame on me right :D ) can somebody please explain to me how the Dodge automatic 4wd system works?

Thanks
John

DBogo

Reaction score
i am not postitive about this but i beleive it is vacuum actuated

MUDDY

Reaction score
02 and-a-half rigs [and newer] work just the same as in 45. no free-wheeling hubs. no vacumn acuation as in 94 thru early 02.

just like driving a 1st gen or your 95 f250 with freewhlng hubs in the 'lock' position and shift into 4wd hi

94 thru early 02= vacumn accuation. the right/long side axle shaft is 2 pieces with a collar that slides over to join em togethr. the t-case engages w/ lever like normal as vac goes to front axle to engage right side axle shafts

Last edited:

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Thanks gang, that setup has to kill fuel mileage, why no free wheeling hubs?

John

MUDDY

Reaction score
actually,,,very little mpg loss,,,,,but some. heck,,,,,,,,saves dc some money on each truck i guess :(

bum deal,,,hard to have 2wd low on newer ones

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
MUDDY said:
actually,,,very little mpg loss,,,,,but some. heck,,,,,,,,saves dc some money on each truck i guess :(

bum deal,,,hard to have 2wd low on newer ones

Thanks

John

haz-mat19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got an '01 4x4 and I do pretty decent on mileage about 18 between mostly round town driving. Don't know what the 2 wheel drives get, but I couldn't be happier. I think you can shift into 4 hi up to 50 mph, I don't think I would try it though. See ya.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the new gen axles are american axle manufacturer axles...not danas..the danas used vaccuum actuation..the new ones are electronically actuated with the 4x4 knob on the center dash area.. the knob itself is part of the 4 wheel drive module. the front driveshaft turns no matter if your in 4 wd or not..the knob sends a signal to the transfer case module which in turn actuates a locking solenoid on the t-case thus giving you 4 wheel drive. and that my friend is how it works...on DR body rams.

Whit

Reaction score
We didnt go for the switch on the dash on the 04.5 we got a manual lever on the floor just like the good ol days :thumbsup:

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whitmore said:
We didnt go for the switch on the dash on the 04.5 we got a manual lever on the floor just like the good ol days :thumbsup:
good deal....i take it yours is an 02...?