4x4 question

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was driving in 4 lo today to try it out, was going fine, i must not have engaged it all the way because when i took a turn it slipped out into n, tried to get it back into gear, 4hi,4lo and it wanted to keep grinding, even wouldnt let me get into park without grinding, i know this is bad but i forced it back into gear, now it works fine but i was just wondering if this has happened to any body else? also if this happens again would it be wise to shut her down in neutral wait for everything to stop spinning then try to put in gear again, also was wondering about how long it would take to remove a 6.9 with a t-19 out of a donor truck. thanks

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. You have to have the trans in park to shift it into high or low. The trans turns in neutral also so it will grind if you try to get it into high or low in the t-case. Perfectly normal for an automatic truck.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It even happans with the T19 if you dont come to a complete stop, but only with 4lo. You can shift from 2hi to 4hi on the fly.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you get the rpms right you can get it into 4 low on the fly also. You have to be going slow but it can be done. Just like driving an old Reo semi with two transmissions.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you were doing this on pavement, it probably popped out from bind. Only use 4x4 on dirt, ice, etc, unless you are leaving the hubs free and just need the low range.
Travis..

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
If you were doing this on pavement, it probably popped out from bind. Only use 4x4 on dirt, ice, etc, unless you are leaving the hubs free and just need the low range.
Travis..

ditto... only use in low traction scenarios because there is no differential between the front and rear axle and gears will bind... the pressure either get relieved by the tires skidding or gears grinding