4in vs 5in exhaust. Yes i know another one.

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know its been covered to death but i couldnt find quite what i was looking for. How does a 4in straight pipe compare to a 5in with a resonator/muffler. Im mainly concerned with the drone i really dont like it. As far as actual noise well, currently it has a 3.5in straight pipe that exits right behind the cab and the engine makes so much noise you cant really here the exhaust inside the cab.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Volumetric efficacy asks why a 5" pipe is even considered ...
Just my .02
Didn't Mell do a pipe test at dyno days once?

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, 5in is completly overkill for any idi, but it wont have an idi forever eventually it will have a 550-600hp compound turbo cummins so i was thinking a little ahead i only want to do the over axle portion of the exhaust once

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then you may want to consider posting this in the cummins forum for real world input...

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ****** love my 4 inch exhaust. At straight pipe. No drone. Quiet inside and rowdy outside. My turbo made it sound much different as well.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I ****** love my 4 inch exhaust. At straight pipe. No drone. Quiet inside and rowdy outside. My turbo made it sound much different as well.
Yep. I'm going with 4" on my trucks. There is no need to go larger. A turbo does certainly quiet the sound down a lot.

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stainless kits im looking at are all over 400 seems extremely high to me. I dont really think it would be to hard to build it myself for way cheaper looks like all i need is a couple 90s some 45s and itll be good

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The stainless kits im looking at are all over 400 seems extremely high to me. I dont really think it would be to hard to build it myself for way cheaper looks like all i need is a couple 90s some 45s and itll be good
Basically that's all you need. That and a straight piece or two.

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4" is around 45ish off the downpipe and straight all the way back. I still need to install my 90 for the exit versus the current dump after the rear axle, but there's plenty of room under these trucks for 4".

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, i was thinking taking the exhaust over the axle all the way out the back vs dumping it in front of the axle. It would be a lot easier to just dump it in front of the axle

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is 3in into a side pipe. Sounds good to me and don't have to mess around with the axle, I guess little cheaper also.

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had seen a few people say that having the exhaust in front of the tire can cause extra tire and break wear because of the extra heat and in the winter it can freeze the breaks cause of the moisture. Of course dont know how true it is but i can sorta see it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online