440,000 on a 86 6.9?

dopeassjackson

Reaction score
im going to take a look at an F350, DRW, 6.9L and a auto tranny (C6 i think?). the owner says it has 440K on it. they dont know if the motor/tranny has been replaced. is this even possible to have that many miles on it?
the truck is setup to pull a gooseneck and by the looks of it they pulled a horse trailer. im going to be pulling a 4-5K trailer through interstate mountain roads. made the same trip with a 1/2 ton with a 350 chevy but it wasnt fun. will this truck be any better at interstate speeds?
looking for some insight.
http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/1532044096.html

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im going to take a look at an F350 DRW with a 6.9L. the owner says it has 440K on it. they dont know if the motor/tranny has been replaced. is this even possible to have that many miles on it?
the truck is setup to pull a gooseneck and by the looks of it they pulled a horse trailer. im going to be pulling a 4-5K trailer through interstate mountain roads. made the same trip with a 1/2 ton with a 350 chevy but it wasnt fun. will this truck be any better at interstate speeds?
looking for some insight.
http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/1532044096.html

Sure it is possible. My crew cab has 320,000+ on the 6.9 without a rebuild and it runs like a top!

Heath

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
322k on my '87 6.9 and running stong. Would be running better if i had money and a garage, but regardless it's running very nicely now. on WMO/WVO no less.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These trucks could be destroyed at 50k or almost pristine at 500k, it really depends on how it was cared for. If it starts up well when cold and seems to run well, its probably in good shape. Decent chance its had an engine replacement, almost certainly the trans though I don't know much about the auto transmissions.

It doesn't say if it has a turbo or not, so I would guess it does not. Without a turbo, it won't be very fun on the hills. It will get you there, just not as fast as you might like.

dopeassjackson

Reaction score
from the pictures the truck looks well cared for. its owned by an equestrian farm and made runs from TN to NY.

DragRag

Reaction score
I know a guy that has 580k on a 7.3, and I have one with 576k on it that is now dead. They will go the long haul if treated good.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I've got 351,455 miles on mine (as of this morning) the original owner bought it new, changed the oil every 3k miles, took good care of it...

He had the engine rebuilt at 190k (just cause he got a good deal on a rebuild job from an IH mechanic)

Original transmission leaks but shifts good and firm...

Original limited slip rear-end works (tested it)

I think you can put ALOT of miles on these things (wait till some of us start rolling over the million mile mark!:sly), and if you treat it right, you should get some good work out of it!

dopeassjackson

Reaction score
what rear end does a 2wd F350 have? dana80? would turning the pump up a bit be a bad thing for this many miles?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes.. These motors can run that many miles but its not the norm.. As posted above, taken care of will get the miles and faithfull life from these motors... Or hate the motor... Don't change oil and it dies an early ugly death... I've seen some realy messed up motors and trucks in wrecking yards.. Even saw a 6.9 that was turned in as a clunker... Had the liquid glass run thru it too... Terrible thing to do to a motor.... I would bet at least the injection pump and injectors have been replaced several times along with the original head gaskets. Ask some questions of the owner about this... Usually injectors and pumps last 125,000 miles or so...

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dana 70. The Dana 80 was used in the Superduty(f-450)

sootman73

Reaction score
the axle depends on the door tag doesn't it? i didn't think they put anything but dana 60 or sterling 10.25" in them?

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
I got 377k miles on my 7.3 still running like a champ!

For a 440k truck, sure looks awesome, nice shape!

PO must have really token care of this truck for it to be looking this sharp with that kind of mileage on it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online