4 letter ford

s_s_hazelton

Reaction score
How can I have diesel in my radiator coolant Res.???The truck is an 84 F 350, W/ a 2000 Navstar 444-E W/ An Allison tranny, truck and trans.Are from a 2000 F 650 And has the Hydro-Max Pkg.

Last edited:

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you could have a blown head gasket or cracked head but most likely you have a cracked injector cup wich can be replaced.

s_s_hazelton

Reaction score
thanks for your quick reply..

I have an 84 f350 and swaped the original 6.9 motor with a 7.3 navstar 444-e from a 2000 f650. I thought i worked all the bugs out then just recently it started just dieing right when it gets warmed up like its running out of fuel. all the electrical lights etc. stay on but it dies like the fuel is shut off, or a sensor is getting tripped. It originaly took about 45 Min. for this to happen,but recently its happening sooner and sooner like i would say in 15 Min.it just dies with no warning at all.Could this be something to do with the hydromax system having air in it and a sensor killing the fuel flow?

and just yesterday, I found diesel in my radiator coolant Res.
Now I just need to figure out what and where my injector cup is. and how do I know that it's bad?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in order to find out if you have a cracked injector cup you will need to remove all 8 injectors and do a pressure test on the cooling system and see wich hole is getting coolant into it.the stalling could be any number of things,but most likely cause would be the cam sensor.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on the cracked injector cup, the dying issue I would also have to agree on being CPS (cam position sensor) related. Man, this truck sounds like a real Heinz 57 special.

s_s_hazelton

Reaction score
Heinz 57 is a pretty good Call.Thanx 4 the Qk response.Yeah,I did the conversion over the period of like two years,so Ive got a few Hrs. into it.Ive got the flat bed and lift gate from another F 650,had to cut the bed down by taking a 13 ft. section out of the center of it and had to raise the body 10 In. to fit that big SOB.Also built a trap door flush in the bed/with 5th wheel hitch.Its my first conversion Ive ever done,and its served me well so far. Thanx again for the help and i hope to talk w u again

rmwitt

Reaction score
fuel in the radiator reservior

i smelled fuel fumes in the cab; opened the hood and found fuel on the passenger side on the underside of the battery and on the wheel well. The underside is also wet with fuel, but no noticable drips. I decided to open the radiator water reservior and, to my surprise, noticed and smelled and felt fuel in the water. How did this happen? and why is fuel in the water, as well as outside the engine (next to the reservior)?

Any ideas?

rmwitt

Reaction score
update:
the fuel smell outside of the reservior is a result of the reservior filling up with with fuel, and the pressure causing the fuel/water mixture to come out of the radiator cap.

rmwitt

Reaction score
i assume the injector cup is the same as injector sleeve -- right? what causes a cracked injector cup?

rmwitt

Reaction score
yep, it was a cracked injector cup/sleeve. i took the truck into the ford dealer this past week. they took off both value covers, removed the injectors, and pressurized the water to determine the location of the leak. cylinder #4 (2nd from front on passenger side) was leaking. in addition to new cup, all injectors were resealed (new orings, washers, and whatever else that means), new heater hoses (9 of them), new radiator hoses, new radiator cap, flush and fill raidator, drain oil and replace filter, and about $2,700 later, the truck is running again at 90,000 miles. i better get another 190k miles before i do this again.

rmwitt

Reaction score
I don't use coolant additives, and ford recommends not to use coolant additives, so they did not cause the injector cup to crack. And ford could not give an answer.

However, i changed and flushed the coolant about a month earlier. I did the work myself. I drained the radiator, added water and some radiator cleaner stuff, ran the car for a week, drained the radiator, added water, ran the car for another week, drained and filled with premixed coolant.

i don't know if what i did, had anything to do with the cracked injector cup, but it does seem coincidental, at the least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger