309k 7.3 idi

Timemachines

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so im about to pull the heads on my 89 f250 7.3 they're leaking coolant and oil but she's still truckin ;) gonna do head gaskets oil pump new lifters etc. anyone suggest any mods or things to change while its a part.

Timemachines

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whats a good number with heads that are seeping. shes fires right up everytime and runs good. just oil leaking out of engine from heads and i rolled coal on my buddy the other day and he said it smelled like oil and coolant. not good.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Hopefully senior members here will chime in soon, Timemachines. In my limited experience, my HGs went bad at about 200K, and less than that on a rebuilt engine.

Going out on a limb, but my understanding is that a big factor is how much oil those rear cylinders get from the CDR. Higher heat value of engine oil = higher temps at those two cylinders, and the heads above them.

And, FYI, blowing intentional soot clouds is not considered a good thing among most members here. Just sayin'.

Timemachines

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its not a stock truck 4 inch straight to 8 inch stack mark viii electric fan swap ip turned up 3 flats and 4 inch ram air from driver side headlight. along with the heads its getting studs and R&D performance cam along with a custom H1C 12v turbo intercooled set up, if compression tests good. but whats this reasoning with quick burp of the throttle. Bad thing?

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Nice, that's about perfect compression.;Sweet I'd send the heads out to be fully rebuilt. It would be a good idea to have the head mating surface checked for straightness as well. Rebuild the oil cooler at this time too.

Is it strange to suspect head gasket issues with compression test that good??????

Timemachines

Full Access Member
Reaction score
now how to you think this short block will do on boost. as i have it apart i wanna do studs, R&D cam, new lifters, pushrods, and obviously new heads, aluminum radiator, moose injectors, etc. should i just pull the short block or do you think it will be alright for some time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online