2WD to 4WD straight axle conversion guidance

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice looking bolt up kit. Looks like they went the distance to make it "plug and play" ... but the price is out of my league.. OOOuch $$ 3.500 for the stage 2 kit puts me in the "I wish I could afford it" list.

Nice find in any case.. one I will file away in case those lottery numbers work. ;))

RedTruck

Reaction score
Hello,

Sort of skimmed the thread here, but it looks like you haven't bought parts for this yet. I believe Calvin has everything you need for the conversion in the marketplace, except maybe hangers and shackles. His price is pretty good. I bought the springs, axle, traction bar, front driveshaft, and brakes for roughly what he's asking and you get the cross member and transfer case yoke (I believe...it's been a while) from him. I paid the going rate for that stuff up here from a '94. Just remember to get new spring, hanger, and shackle bushings in everything plus U bolts then plan for an alignment when it's all done.

Good luck on your project!

Paul

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip !

I've only started planning what to do with this truck. The engine has to have head gasket work. It's got 227.000 miles on it and a C6 trans.. so I think it's perfect time to put in the ZF5 and re-seal the whole engine.. maybe do other internals once it's torn down.. The pan has a major dent on the bottom, so it needs to come off etc etc..

Seems like a good time to "build a truck" with ZF5, maybe hydroboost if I can find a donor at pick n pull, and do the 4X4 conversion also.. Body is rust and dent free, power windows and air, 4 doors, dualie.. 92 F350, so kind of has everything I want in one package.. almost...

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You want any Lift or going for a factory ride height? If your going for lift check out the RSK or reverse shackle kits for the ford trucks. It would give you the front axle mount and then you can make rear mounts or buy a pair. If your going factory height it's not tough to use factory stuff. I swapped my 89 crewcab to 4x4. I never did do the passenger side frame stiffener mentioned earlier. Can't say it caused me any issues. If I had one i'd of probably put it in. If I was to do a swap again I would probably do the 2005 up coil sprung front axle. I think they are going to give one of the best rides. Problem is you either run wheel adapters or need to change the rear axle to match the front.

- Jeremy

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm happy with stock ride height, so no change planned there.

The listing mentioned above for Calvin is dated from 2013. Have to ask if it's still available?
I would be interested if it is as a package deal with the rear spring blocks to level out the truck and give it the "4X4' look.

Calvin, if you still have it, please send me an IM message. Thanks.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Last I saw (within a few months) he said he still has it.
Don't know if tagging works here @towcat
If nothing else, pm him, as he may not see this thread.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin