23 FIPL code with flashing OD light won't go away!

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Been fighting this code 23 since I got my transmission back in.

Adjusted the TPS several times, installed new one today, adjusted, then adjusted again. Drive for a mile, triggers a code with flashing light.

Driven with DVOMs monitoring throttle and reference voltages, no smoking guns.

I understand the tach sensors are problematic, but my tach appears to be working OK. Any chance it's lying and causing my throttle angle to disagree with what the computer expects for an RPM reading?

One of the 1994 TECA modules are really starting to sound nice right now. However, I haven't heard anyone suggest the TECA modules are problematic, and the only merit of the new module (from what I understand anyway) is reduced tendency to set a code 62. Please correct me if any of this is incorrect.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Patrick

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, you sound like you know what you're doing but I'll throw out something that got me chasing a code 23 ghost,so this is really making fun of myself. When you scan the vehicle must be at full throttle/ wow open. If not it will always give you code 23. I fought code 23 for quite a while because I was scanning at idle. Maybe that helps, or gives someone a chuckle.

1994 Ford F250, 2wd, 7.3L IDI, NA, E4OD

2006 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, 2wd, 5.4L, automatic

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That thought crossed my mind a while back, so I scanned while standing in the pedal, same code. Not to discount the possibility I'm doing something wrong somehow.

Critical thinking here, but I would expect multiple codes to show up on my scanner if it's something else wrong in addition to me not pressing the throttle while scanning.

I'll give it another go tomorrow. I appreciate your help.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the throttle isn't wide open the only code that comes up is 23,and, in my experience, will clear all codes. Also, it will take it a bit to get into scanning codes even after the throttle is wide open. I generally hold the throttle open until I get repeated codes.
I chased my tail for a while because I wasn't scanning right, and changed out/adjusted my FIPL. Lol

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May I ask what symptoms you were diagnosing, as well as what codes you ended up having, and what you did to fix them?

gandalf

Reaction score
Just a thought, but I've got to ask. You are clearing codes every time you "fix" it, aren't you? The TCM stores codes. On the next "fix", disconnect the batteries for a while. That will clear the codes so you start with a clean slate, so to speak.

My one other suggestion at this point would be to clean the cable contacts on the large connector at the transmission. It's on the passenger side, hiding behind a shield. It will probably help to pull the shield before pulling the big connector. Then clean it well, put it back, and try again, with that clean and the codes cleared.

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Ken,

I'm using an old "brick" scanner, a Snap-on MT2500. I use the clear codes function each time. I haven't tried to clear codes by disconnecting the batteries, but I'm game for anything at this point.

I cleaned the solenoid pack very well when I had the transmission out, however I neglected to do much with the harness end. Sounds worth revisiting.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine turned out to be the torque converter. Or something related. I haven't actually fixed it just yet but I'm driving it (daily driver), and I'm hoping it holds on until I can get me a 5 spd/ rebuild (money)

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Learned the 'secret handshake' of the 'brick' scanner this morning.

OCD kicked in, so I got out of the house a few minutes early, and hooked up the scanner. Pressed 'Y', depressed throttle, then turned on the key. 23 FIPL has now been replaced with 26 transmission oil temperature sensor out of range.

This I can deal with!

I should have known, I'm used to getting lied to by shop equipment at work. Thank you to all that set my train of thought in the right direction.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome...and not so awesome. At least you got past the 23 phantom.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Learned the 'secret handshake' of the 'brick' scanner this morning.

OCD kicked in, so I got out of the house a few minutes early, and hooked up the scanner. Pressed 'Y', depressed throttle, then turned on the key. 23 FIPL has now been replaced with 26 transmission oil temperature sensor out of range.

This I can deal with!

I should have known, I'm used to getting lied to by shop equipment at work. Thank you to all that set my train of thought in the right direction.

You have a code 26 because the tranny isn't up to operating temp. If you check it again when its at operating temp this code will not appear.

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK so now I've finally found the right combination of holding down the accelerator pedal, making sure the transmission is at an acceptable temperature, and making sure the scanner is set up correctly, and I'm fighting a code 62. Not what I wanted to see.

Just to recap, I've rebuilt the transmission, replaced the torque convertor (mainly because I didn't trust the old one), installed a complete Transgo Tugger kit, and replaced the throttle position sensor. I even drilled the aperture inside the front pump for the convertor lockup the maximum recommended diameter.

I have not replaced the tach sensor, and I'm still using the same solenoid pack. I haven't noticed any errata with the tach, and the transmission shifts fantastic, until it throws an error.

I did make it all the way home from work a couple days ago (15 miles) with no error, without doing anything I wouldn't otherwise normally do. My drive to and from work is half city half highway. Other times, it will trigger an error within one to three miles. Today I made it a mile from home no errors, and then going uphill, error.

I ran a wire from the convertor clutch lockup wire inside the cab with an LED, and the computer seems to have a normal lockup pattern. Once I was in my neighborhood I grounded the wire expecting some sort of chatter, I didn't notice anything different.

I'd love for this to be something relatively simple, such as a flaky tach sensor or solenoid pack, but I get this sick feeling it's something in the transmission. Any suggestions? I appreciate your help.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the great article all about code 62. That's what I keep getting and I've done all of the stuff that doesn't involve really spending money.
Personally, I think my torque converter is shot. The thing is the computer doesn't actually talk to the torque converter itself but judges the input, through the RPM sensor (?), and output through the the speed sensor (?), if I understand correctly. So, code 62 in no way necessarily means the the torque converter is actually having problems.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=68423
E40D: The Importance Of A Clean Trans Harness. Code 62 & More

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my haste to jump to conclusions, forgot about the harness repair kit. Ordered. Let's see if it reduces the frequency of errors, if not removes them altogether. I appreciate your prompt response.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle