2013 Rally RE CAP

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Ok Folks this years rally is in the books.

Recap....

Beer was cold.
Friends were good.
Rained a lot.

What else is there to tell....

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
No seriously.... here is the break down.

In attendance...

72 People
22 Trucks.

First event was a ride down to Connersville to board a train to ride to Metamora to see the historic town. Train ride was good - gave time to visit. Rained a little on our outing but didn't slow us down any.

Second event which was the tubing down the White River was cancelled because of the rain so a few of us made a run to the local junk yard to pick up parts. They happened to run into Seth's old black IDI truck.

Third Event was the go carts. Let me tell you this was a BLAST! There was a point where the only people on the slick oval track was our group and it got a little intense. There was a lot of rubbing and pit maneuvers being performed to gained a higher position. Let's just say we were racing for something - what it was none of knew but we were all jocking for lead position. The poor boy running the track was doing nothing but running around dodging us trying to reset the barricades (used tires).

Fourth Event was a trip to the Indy 500 museum and track. We took a bus ride around the track and got to see what the racers see as they go whizzing around the track. We took up two buses completely and there was a moment when we didn't think we could all fit into them at once. But as it turns out there was just enough seating - so when the buses when around only our group was doing so. That was nice.

Fifth event was the truck show. All the trucks looked nice and were lined up all in a row on display for the campground to see. We had quite a few campers come down and view the trucks and as it turns out one of the employees at the campground retired from Ford here in Indy and was quite knowledgeable on the IDI's as he was the guy who performed destruction testing on the IDI engines back in the day. Basically his job was to find out how much abuse the engines could take before they failed...

Winners of the show and shine were decided by the local fire dept.

Winners were as follows.

Best IDI Conversion - BEN FLUKE (73IDI) - 1973 F250 7.3 Banks Turbo Conversion.
Best NON IDI Conversion - Darrin Tosh in Big Ed.
Most Patriotic - Darrin Tosh in Big Ed.
Furthest Driven - Patrick Cheung (crazyasian) in his 6.0 PSD - made the trip all the way from south Florida!!!!
Best Dually - John Lalonde in his class C motorhome! Which really no other truck had it's own bath room!
Best 1983 - 1986 - Mel Agne (agnem) in the Moose Truck
Best 1987 - 1991 - John Lalonde in the Motorhome
Best 1992 - 1994 - Suzie Agne - MsMoose - in the Lady Moose
Best of Show - Ben Fluke in his 1973 Ford F250 - let me tell you folks this was one amazing truck. You could have eaten off the engine. This is a show truck - it was simply amazing what they have done with this truck. Didn't matter where you looked this thing looked perfect looked better than it did when new in my opinion. He was invited after the event by Jim Allen to do a photoshoot on the truck. Ben is new to the group and after speaking with both his father and himself I hope they stay around and do more with the group. The were both very nice and easy to get along with folks.

Sixth event was a cruise over to the Children's Museum for the afternoon to let the kids of all ages explore. The kids were very happy with all that they could touch and do.

During the gift giving there were two hot gifts this year. First being the portable grill that Frisco got - he had to steal it back at one point and the two **** thongs - which I had to steal twice in order to get them.... really did you think I wouldn't go after them.... But Patrick did wear them and was dancing giving Ron a dance with them on for our entertainment. There is some video of that floating around somewhere. Although the thongs are missing in action at this point - they seems to have grew legs and went missing from y truck so I suspect we will see them pop up at a future event tied to someones truck..... I know when Darrin's fall event happens I'm gonna keep my eye on my truck at all times....

There were tons of antics going on in the middle of night - like Subway got a new sticker for his truck, as did Andy on his. Ron's grill was removed and a donor was painted bright red and installed in the middle of the night - as we all know Cummins are RED.... Yes you read that correct - Ron is converting Goldie over to a 6bt (first gen) for pulling the heavy trailer he and Karen enjoy. It's just a little too much for the old IDI to yank down the road. But he will always be part of the group even though he still have one IDI at home and is building an IDI for Karen.

We did get a blast from the past when Doug Benson walked in to the circle one evening. WOW talk about being surprised he didn't mention that he was coming. It has been a long long time since I have seen Doug and what was funny just the evening before he arrived we were all sitting around the fire talking about folks that we hadn't seen in a few years. So that was Nice!

Then one morning a family that was stranded got to see the Brotherhood in action. Early one morning while I was sitting outside having my first cup of coffee a family was trying to leave in their 6.0 PSD but it would not start. I hear him leaning on the starter and the truck just started cranking slower and slower. So I jumped in E3 and headed on down to give him a jump start. Well after a little bit it we determined that there was something else wrong than just low batteries. So I told him give me a min and I will see if anyone was up - he looked a little puzzled as I texted Ron to have him take a look. Well Ron did some troubleshooting and then called in the big guns (Patrick - crazyasian). Well at this point Rick (the gent with the Broke down PSD) was getting surprised at every turn because in a little bit a 12year old asian boy rounded the front of the truck with his laptop and started asking some pretty technical questions and was in full troubleshooting mode - you should have seen the look on Ricks face when patrick came around the front of the truck - it was priceless. then after some troubleshooting it was determined that he had a FCIM out on the truck and the ICP senor was bad so Mel sprung into action and located one to have it shipped in. Then once it arrived a couple of days later all was well - Mel got him an outstanding price on the parts - Ron gave him one heck of deal on the labor - trust me the a local shop would have been well over double the cost. Rick is going to have one heck of a story to tell when him and his family get back home. What are the chances that he breaks down in a campground that having a diesel truck rally with some of the most friendly and knowledgeable folks when it comes to diesels. The Lord works in mysterious ways that is for sure. Since Rick's truck was down and they were having to stay in the campground longer than they had expected the group also sprang into action and ran them to the grocery store so they could get supplies. It's simply amazing how this group cares about one another and is willing lend a helping hand when it's needed. It makes me proud to be apart of something so amazing. the BROTHERHOOD does certainly exist and is alive and strong within this group! I want to thank those that helped out getting Rick and his family back on the road for them to continue their journey to visit their children and grandkids for the summer. They were from Arizona so they were a long long ways from home.

Well folks I think that about sums it up.

And next year the rally will be hosted by John Geese (Goose). I will let him fill us in on the details and I pass the torch along. From the sounds of what John is looking at I think it will be a wonderful rally.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Rick said he has plans to do so and he said he was thinking about a screen name of "Problem Child" he and is family were really nice and I think he will be a great addition to BOOB - Brotherhood Of Oil Burners.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I got to spend some time with Rick and told him how I met Jason, Ron and Corey at Mel's Rally. Those guys came to rescue me, 3 of my kids and a broken down F150 after the dyno event. I waseither given a ride or a VERY nice red dually to drive around. Corey was even gracious enough to tale myself, the kids and the broken truck back to Jersey at the end of the event. Rick was impressed with the story and definitely believed it after seeing how he was treated during his times of trouble.

He even attended the pot luck dinner so he got to see our Chinese gift exchange antics as well. Considering his vehicle was broke at his camp site, he was all smiles.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
goose, if you need any help on the next rally let me know....I got some ideas.....

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Great Recap Travis, Lori and I had a great time and look forward to the next get together.

Here is my recap, with pics,.

Lori and I loaded on Sunday Afternoon ready for our 5 hour treck the Rally. We decided to bring our Scoot along and take a day to enjoy the Southern Indiana Terrain.

You must be registered for see images attach

Monday was a wash out for the Toobing but was a great day non the less. We have no complaints about the weather this year, Yes we had some rain but overall it was Not Raining, and Great Temps. Last year we hit 105 deg and had some damaging storms. This year was very comfortable and the rain was no problem at all.

Tuesday we went cruised to the Indy 500 Museum, and took a lap around the track:

Front Straightaway:

Winners Circle:

The Brickyard Finish Line:

LOTS OF History here!

These were my 2 favorite vehicles at the museum..

Here is proof that we did have some Sunshine! Travis took a lap on our bike,

Just because you are camping doesn't mean you cant eat gourmet, Check out the Breakfast Sandwich that Lori made! Yes I am spoiled,.

....continued.....

Last edited:

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Andy and Seth getting ready for the Show and Shine:

Getting Rons truck for the Show and Shine:

Pics of the Show and Shine:

The Moose Mound:

Last edited:

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
More pics of the Show and shine:

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
In the first pic the "andy and seth," which/who's truck is on the right?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm still putting real names to screen names.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Show and Shine Audience, and Travis's camp site..

Lori and I just stood there for a while and someone finally came by and took our pic...

Seth Striking a pose on his truck,...

This would be A Crazy Asian Fail!

Red and Blue smoke out of the pipes for 4th of July,..Hey Why Not,...

Last edited:

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Friday was a Beautiful Day, the outing was a trip to the Children's Museum, Since we had no kids with us, and our youngest is 18 anyways, we took that opportunity to take the bike for a ride,...Travis told us about Park County Coverded bridge tours so we headed out, made the 100 mile ride to the west side of Indy to Park County:

Peering out of the Covered Bridge was this Beautiful Slant Nose F150,...Had to get a pic of that! Just part of the beautiful scenery,.

This too,..

Our Lunch Stop was cool allso,..

On the way back we stumbled upon a Classic Car Show,..Had to stop..

Overall A GREAT Day, we put on about 300 miles and got back in plenty of time for the evening camp fire.

Last edited: