2008 Escape

Discussion in 'Gasoline Engines' started by chillman88, Mar 21, 2018.

1. chillman88

chillman88 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Not much to update but she's on the road!

Still need to fix a lot but it runs and drives!

Right rear shock is pretty bad, at least I think it's the shock. By the time I got to work there was a... bounce/rattle? Not quite sure how to word it, kinda feels like a bad u-joint but the way it's acting I don't think it is. It did it last night when I was almost home and was fine when I left this morning.

Brakes were scary last night until the rust burned off lol!

Rear driveshaft is a u-joint at the axle not a CV so it's probably the rear itself whining. It's got oil on it so it's probably leaking at the passenger side seal. Might get better if I add some oil. CV shafts look and feel fine so I doubt its those.

It's a lot different than a full size, which is what all my primary vehicles have been since high school but it's not bad. I have working cruise control, a good radio, and the A/C even works so I'm happy LOL

2. chillman88

So I crawled under it today and pulled the rear diff cover. I couldn't find any play that seemed excessive so if it is a bearing, it's not completely shot yet. There was some definite wear on one side of the ring gear. The fluid that came out was a nasty thin, black mess. I put about a qt of 85-140 in and topped it off with 80w90. It's supposed to hold 1.48qts so we'll see how that mix does.

I also changed the oil in the "power transfer unit". I was pretty impressed that it looked really clean. I changed it anyway, at least I KNOW it's new oil.

It's a little "soft" in the front end. Turns out I have a broken sway bar link.

The muffler will probably end up falling on the ground this winter so that's something to fix before too long lol!

I've noticed the coolant reservoir has been empty the last couple times I've been under the hood. I'll have to keep an eye on that since I haven't seen any leaks?

Jason1377 likes this.
  3. Jason1377

Jason1377 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Glad things are looking up for you sir just keep plugging along it will be a fine rig

chillman88 likes this.
  4. chillman88

Fought around with the fuel pump yesterday. I was getting 12v at the pump but the pump still was't turning on. Replaced it only to find the pump driver module is bad. I'd have replaced that if I hadn't had 12v at the pump..... Oh well. I have a new pump now so at least that's hopefully one less thing to worry about. New pump driver should be here by Thursday....

Can't they just put it on the block and drive it off the cam again? lol