2001 V6 Pontiac Montana

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got this Van for my daughter just to drive to work about 2 miles one way.

Problem: She complained that it shifted funny going to work Thursday. I drove it Sunday for 18 miles one way and it did have a hard shift in all gears even OD, a pretty good thump shifting. Checked the tranny oil level and it was right on the full mark hot. While driving it seemed like it did not coast down in speed when letting up on the throttle like it should, coming home I got the same feeling, although it did shift smooth, pulled off to the side and put it in neutral, engine sped up to 3000 RPM, tapped the throttle several times and no change still stayed at 3000 RPM when it should have idled at (650 ?), Shut the key off waited a minute then restarted it and it idled OK at 650-700, drove home about a mile and parked, put it in neutral and it sped up to 3000 RPM again, checked the throttle mechanism at the engine and it was fully to the idle position. Shut the key off and restarted and the idle was at 2500 RPM, had to do that 3 more times until the idle came down to 650 RPM, now I never moved the throttle while off and on the 3 times.

Have I got a Toyota problem here, I'm a little afraid to let her drive it. She did tell me that has happened several times and she just shuts it off and restarts again. Engine has 131,000 miles on it and she has driven it 3000 since she got it. Any Ideas greatly appreciated.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
without seeing the vehicle, my immediate reaction is to change out the TPS, clean or change the IAC and *IF* it has a throttle cable check for binding. If it has a rheostat throttle, check for error codes or change out immediately.
What Toyota has been holding back on exposing is the rheostat throttle pedals that is behind the acceleration issues is a american made product. TRW is the manufacturer. I've been involved in the investigation over four years ago. A Toyota owner killed a unsuspecting driver in the San Jose area but noone took into account his statement until recently. One man died, one man had his life ruined, and that was where it ended until Toyota's admission recently, but nothing for those two men can ever be reclaimed.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
My first place would be what TC said... the tps... Something to me says that it's reporting the wrong voltage to the ecm. causing it to inject way too much fuel.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
without seeing the vehicle, my immediate reaction is to change out the TPS, clean or change the IAC and *IF* it has a throttle cable check for binding. If it has a rheostat throttle, check for error codes or change out immediately.

Cal: It has the cable throttle on it, one from the pedal and the other from the cruise control. I checked while it was high idleing (3000 RPM) to make sure the cable had returned (eccentric) to the stop position, it was.

What is the IAC ? Is there a TPS at the engine behind the cable eccentric?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cal: It has the cable throttle on it, one from the pedal and the other from the cruise control. I checked while it was high idleing (3000 RPM) to make sure the cable had returned (eccentric) to the stop position, it was.

What is the IAC ? Is there a TPS at the engine behind the cable eccentric?
hope you have small fingers:eek:
items #4 & 6 is what you are looking for.

Attachments

• 01montana.gif
    01montana.gif
    50.9 KB · Views: 6

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cal: Thanks for the blowup on sensors. Found the TP, yup I have big hands. Had the air intake all apart, what a ***** to get to the filter. Anyhow replaced the filter while apart. Checked the butterfly to make sure it didn't have anything that might hold it open, that is clean. Guess I'll get a new TP for it, looks like one hell'va job to change it, hard to get at screws. Pulled the connector (3-wires) they were good and clean, and the TP is tight.
The IAC looks like an Injector Air Control ?

Checked the ECM, No codes found. .

Goofy:
Remove the Toyota brand floormats and reassess!
Removed the floor mats and shook the dirt and stones off then replaced, also aired up the tires, that seemed to help on the test run.:rotflmao

Travis:
My first place would be what TC said... the tps...

Boy you guys are good.

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IAC=idle air control motor
it's where the throttle body is at.it provides a contolled air leak toregulate the rpms. normally will slowly sludge up from the oil from the pcv.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online