2001 24v 5 speed, 53 block and worried

JMeier

Reaction score
I just bought a 2001 Ram 3500 5 speed manual with 114,00 miles. It has the 24v 53 block. The block is not cracked and the truck is in excellent shape. I have to put in a new clutch, but other than that I thought I was doing good on my purchase. Then, this morning I left for work and I had a dead petal. About 1/2 mile I stopped and it picked back up. I have driven the truck about 400 miles since I bought it, and there were no problems other than the clutch slipping a little. Last night it did get much cooler (about 40 degrees) and I read somewhere that that could cause this problem if the engine is not warmed properly. Is this true or am I looking at more costly repairs? After reading several posts here I am extremely worried.

doodle's bill

Reaction score
53 block

i've got a 98 12 valve with a 53 block with over 160k and i quit worrying about it. if it ain't happened by now i doubt it will. just keep drivin.

JMeier

Reaction score
new problem

Thanks for the reply Doodle's Bill. I am not a Diesel mechanic by far, even though I have worked on old Dodge's with gas engines all my life (its not a hobby its an obsession). I changed the fuel filter and the dead petal problem is solved. I installed a low fuel pressure sensor and a new lift pump. Now the truck is hard to start after it has sat a while (overnight). Sometimes when this happens I have to bleed air out of the fuel lines, but after two weeks you would think that the air would be out unless I have a leak. I cannot find any evidence of a fuel leak anywhere. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

doodle's bill

Reaction score
new problem

i'm not gonna pass myself off as a diesel mechanic either. i suggest asking argve or whitmore they have been very helpful and patient with my questions. good luck and feel free to write agan and i'll try to assist.

Whit

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Doodle's Bill. I am not a Diesel mechanic by far, even though I have worked on old Dodge's with gas engines all my life (its not a hobby its an obsession). I changed the fuel filter and the dead petal problem is solved. I installed a low fuel pressure sensor and a new lift pump. Now the truck is hard to start after it has sat a while (overnight). Sometimes when this happens I have to bleed air out of the fuel lines, but after two weeks you would think that the air would be out unless I have a leak. I cannot find any evidence of a fuel leak anywhere. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

congrats on the truck purchase ..sounds like a keeper to me.

53 block with 114k miles if it still good then it will most likely live a long happy life....the only this I would be concerened about a 53 would be if you wanted to make serious horse power then I would be leary.

dead pedal..............could be alot of things here so lets get the codes scanned first before we act on what could be many issues......go to yer local auto parts store and they will scan the codes for ya.............also you can do the 3 key on off on off on off.then on and write down the codes that pop into the odometer window.

air in fuel lines .this concerns me cuz like you said the air shouldnt be gettin back in there and you are correct...................you may have a pin hole in yer fuel pick up tube inside the tank......try this.keep the talk full all ya can and see if air gets in there.......................pay attention as tyo yer fuel level when you start gettin air and havin problems

If you dont have a fuel pressure gage yet then get one.go mechanical and stay away from electric senders......monitoring the fuel pressue on a VP-44 truck (98.5-02) is of most importance .............I highly recommend an after market fuel pump like FASS or Walbro as well as Matusa.........I like them all

Cheers, Kevin

JMeier

Reaction score
Guages

Thanks for the reply, Whitmore. Which fuel pressure gauge would you reccommend, and where can i get it?

Whit

Reaction score
we have alot of good site sponsers right here on this site that can help you ......................I like em all as long as you stay away from mechanical..........but thats just me

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
I had a '00 4x4 3500 that I boguht with 140k on it. Sold it 6 months later with 170k on it. Most of it's life it was an oilfield hot shot truck and had a fuel box on it. Yep it had the 53 block and it never gave me a problem until the VP44 went **** up. I still se it around back home and it's still running. I had a fuel box, gages, and that's about it. My opinion, don't worry about the 53 block. It's a rare break. What fails more often is the VP44.

Like Whitmore said, get a fuel pressure gage. There are kits on the market to mount it under the hood. Keep an eye on the pressure and make sure the lift pump is in good health otherwise you'll be dropping about $2500 for a new VP44 sooner rather than later.

Fuel in the lines could be caused by a bad pickup or a loose fitting. I'm wondering if it has the "upgraded" lift pump in the fuel tank. Also, might want to check the banjo bolts to make sure they're not loose.

VALKYRIES

Reaction score
53 blocks and .......

Thanks but this truck and I have been fighting since it was new! Steering that osocolated from 10 to 2 o-clock very fast from the factory. Engine burned about 4 L of coolant in the first 22,000 km's. Loaded welding trucks had noooo problem getting ahead of me at an intersection. Ran around for about 8 months without and lift pump working. I am on lift pump #7 now VP-44 3 now. The Fed Ex one has been the best so far. had 275's in for the first two VP's ,have 300's in now. One complete steering replacement. ECM, Alternator all sensors x 2+. I have babyed it since new. For don't think that it burns more then 65% fuel that it is supposed too. Yes the 53 block did crack in Nov 06 at 370,000 km's With 40 visits on the engine 8 dollarshops and cumzins 3times..

Just looking to find a good diesel engine to replace this lemon. I will be changing the diffs for better milage ( I did some calculating the other day and I could payoff the new diffs in thefirst 14 months :D )and some other things because I won't be having to fix things -cuss from the factory!

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
If you don't have a fuel pressure gague you're going to go through lift pumps and VPs with great regularity. A fuel pressure gage is a must in these trucks. Not getting one is just asking for trouble. The other solution is to get an auxiliary pusher pump system (they're on the market).

These trucks are meant to be used, worked, and driven not babied. Yes take care of it, maintian it properly, and don't abuse it but don't baby it either.

VALKYRIES

Reaction score
53 blocks

Yes I know all that. I ran around for about 8 months with the lift pump not working at all. 130 rwhp to 175 rwhp.:thumbsup: I got a fuel gauge in 2000 with two pressure senders pre and post filter. So can tell what the lift pump is doing. You know with all the mileage that I drive the filters never get plugged up, Just bye clean fuel. No I let it warmup and cool down before I drive it. But with the lack of power that mine has always had it is hard to just drive it. For it bucks from 1100 to 1275 rpm and never has given me the power that everyone else has!!! It gets great milege 7.6L /100 km's but low on power. When I had the new vp put in years ago some time later thought that should get new injectors the dollarshop didn;t think so because the egt was within 5 *. The worst one peeed at 2600 the best half atomized at 4100. With the 275's in I barely got ahead of a 2500 chev gas pot pulling a 22' 5er intersection to intersection.:thumbsup:

amjperformance

Supporting vendor
Reaction score
VIN 6? Good or Bad?

I need some help. I am looking at buying an '01 Vin 6 Cummins. Is this the one that has a cracking problem? Any help would be great or direct me to another thread for discussion. Thanks

doodle's bill

Reaction score
53 block

there are many articles in this web site on the 53 block. the best way to find out is researh the articles however, any 53 block in an 01 is suseptible to cracking from what i understand.