2000 PSD 6 Speed Exhaust Brakes

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My old man has a 2000 SuperDuty and would like to put an exhaust brake on his truck. He has the 6 speed and 3.73's. He has no other mods to the truck, but does use it to pull everyday. Anyhow, looking for brands and prices for different brakes. Also, what are some pro and cons to using the brake besides the obvious of better load brakeing. Anything to be warned of? Thanks. Scotty

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
Im not an expert on exhaust brakes by any means, but I know they are expencive, but well worth it. I couldnt give you any specific brands to look for, but I have seen and heard of kits that use the valve on the back of the turbo, I guess its a warm up valve in the exhaust? Well anyway This can be used for an "exhaust brake" along side of a warm up deal. The obvious 2 benefits I can tell u are 1) extended brake wear, because of the braking force. 2) faster warm up.
Like I said im not expert, so I couldnt give you any cons to an exhaust brake, Ive only ever heard the good stuff. I have driven a few trucks at different jobs that had them, and I will tell you I love them, (but prefer a compression (jake) brake anyday!)
BCD offers a variety of (I think) good, cheap, Powerstroke stuff. Here is a link to their page, more specifically the BCD brand, Powerstroke stuff, scroll down the page and you will find a kit for $100 bucks! It utilzes the stock exhaust back pressure valve (EBPV)
http://blackclouddiesel.com/Ford/ourfordstuff.htm
Between you and me, after I saw all that stuff that they make for the price, I been lookin at the darkside!! :angel: (but i'll still keep my ol IDI)
Hope this helps ya!