2000 6.5 issues when hot

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
A buddy here at work has a 2000 6.5 Diesel in a 1 ton dually with an automatic trans. When the engine is warm it will run fine until you remove your foot from the go pedal then it will start rolling black smoke and then will increase in rpms and want to go to full throttle... If he shuts the truck off and lets it cool down it will return to normal operation until she warms up again.

I'm thinking PMD....

What you boys think....

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I don't know about codes. He didn't mention any thing with the dash lights - now the PMD is mounted on the Pump and was replaced about a year ago with a Delco unit (OEM).

he called me yesterday and said he had been driving it around for about an hour before it started it's little thing of wanting to go full throttle on him but it was cold out - I mean it was freaky cold yesterday. I told him to take a bag of ice and place on the PMD and wait about 5 mins then see if it does it again (checking to see if cooling the unit makes a difference)... He did say that when it started it's little thing that if he just touched the go pedal (slightly off idle) that it would stop but after a while that would not help. But he said that running down the road at highway speeds you would never know that it has a problem.

Brooklyn Tow

Reaction score
PMD.....Does he have access to a known good one?......Thats the only way to "Really" know. If it's the new stanadyne, I heard they're having issues with them and the D-Techs had a bad batch come out with runaway issues your describing.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Reaction score
It sounds more like a problem in the pedal position sensor, but I'm not familiar with these trucks yet. Mine is still running fine (knock wood).