2 trucks into1?

rusty1988

Reaction score
Hey folks,
So here's what I have: 1988 f350/crew cab/ 4x4/ c6/srw... Problems are the body is really rusting out, and the motor with its unknown (likely very high) miles it wearing out.
Here's what I'll be looking at tomorrow:1991 crewcab/2x4/e04d/srw
So basically what I'm interested in doing is using the driveline of my 88 under the 91 so I can have 4x4 and continue using my 88 as a parts truck for the 91. I'm just hoping the experts on here can tell me if this is a good idea or not or if there's any reason why things wouldn't match up?

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Sounds good. I don't think there were any major changes from 1984-94, but you will have to create spring perches for the front axle and remove the coil spring stuff. All of it should already exist on your 88, just transfer stuff from one to the other.

Might be easier to transfer the 91 body and engine onto your frame, all unbolting and bolting together, no fabrication, welding or grinding. You decide how much work you want to do.

rusty1988

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply knuckledragger, that's one of my big questions in all of this is if it will be easier to stick the front/rear end, driveshaft, tranny and tcase under the new truck or plop the cab and engine onto the old frame and what issues I might run into doing either one. This will be my first major build type project and I want to do it right with the fewest headaches possible.

rusty1988

Reaction score
Thanks for the link towcat, that was a lot of info, I did not realize how involved going from 2x4 to 4x4. I do have the facility/ equipment to use but no, I do not have the fab skills for that big of a project. Ideally I would just get a crew cab 4x4, but so far haven't been able to find one. Also still thinking about finding a cab and engine for my truck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online